16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Question for the Illinois / Chicago folks here . . .
Mod 97
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine who currently lives in Minnesota hails from a NW Chicago suburb called Lombard. She is not a product of the gun culture, but she now owns an 870. All I know about the city of Chicago and the state of Ill is that they have an unfriendly reputation toward gun owners.

If she wishes to bring her shotgun home for a weekend visit, does she need to jump through any hoops?

Any commentary would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

NR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Mod 97:
Used to live in Marquette and now live in Illinois on the Wisconsin border. How does grouse population look this year?

Not sure on gun laws in Lombard, but you probably don't want to take the gun into the city of Chicago. The state of Illinois does have a goofy law for residents where you have to apply for a FOID card in order to own or transport a gun. If she is a Michigan resident, with a Michigan drivers license my guess is the law does not apply.

I would call the Illinois state police for state law and the Lombard police to see what they say. Some Chicago suburbs have complete bans on any type of gun.

Good hunting this fall

Chicago Mike
JoGoz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

No hoop jumping is needed. Just make sure the gun is in a case, unloaded, and locked in the trunk. If she drives an SUV, keep it in the way-back, as inaccesable as possible. If she plans on shooting, she should bring her own shells since she won't be able to buy any here without an Illinois FOID. Good luck, JOHN
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info.

Chicago Mike - I would assume the bird pop will increase from last year, but I haven't seen any official reports. I see a few out in the woods, but I don't usually work in prime habitat. What did you do in Mqt and what posessed you to move to Ill?!

Thanks again!

NR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 am  Reply with quote

You need to define 'lives'. If she is still an Illinois resident, she cannot purchase a firearm nor ammuntion without an FOID card. If a Minnesota resident with a Minn valid ID, then she does not need an FOID and can purchase ammunition in Illinois without an FOID.
This is not something to be treated casually and your best resource would be local Law Enforcement. The NRA is also a good resource.-Dick
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well, to round out the story, She is a resident of Minn but will be visiting her parents for a few days and then coming up to the UP. She desperately needs some shooting lessons, so I hope she'll bring her gun and get some instruction. So basically, she won't be using it in Illinois, its just that she's going there before coming here.

Thanks again!

NR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Mod 97 wrote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info.

Chicago Mike - I would assume the bird pop will increase from last year, but I haven't seen any official reports. I see a few out in the woods, but I don't usually work in prime habitat. What did you do in Mqt and what posessed you to move to Ill?!

Thanks again!

NR

Mod 97:
I worked for a bank in Marquette for 8 years and they transferred me back to Chicago. I tried to stay there but it just did not work out.

I really miss the cross country skiing, local races and most of all the grouse hunting. I get back up there to hunt quite a bit and visit friends. Going to go to the RGS dinner in Marquette in late September and hunt that area for a few days. My hunting buddy and I have rented a cabin in Ironwood for the month of October to grouse hunt.

Once you live in the the U.P. it kinda never leaves your blood.

My granddaughter lives about 30 minutes away and I don't think I am going to get the wife back to the U.P. for awhile.

Chicago Mike