16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New gun design
mdm1
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

After following the posts on the two 16 gauge guns Charles has and is currently working on, and seeing the many, many comments both positive and negative, I decided to design the perfect all around shotgun. Something to satisfy everyone and lacking nothing.

I have spent untold minutes pondering the basic design, pouring over everyone’s comments, and figuring out how to meet and, yes, exceed your expectations.

This is the breakdown.

Barrels: There are two, if you want two, and they start 24” long. Don’t despair if you want longer barrels. I will sell barrel extensions in 2” increments. Simply screw in extensions until you have as long a barrel as you want. Chokes are, of course, screw in, unless you want fixed chokes, if you do simply install an extension with a fixed choke.

For those who want only one barrel, pump/auto, simply unscrew one of the barrels and screw in the optional magazine, also extendable.

Action: This was a tough one. With two barrels it breaks open. With the movement of one pin the barrels and firing mechanism rotate 90 degrees and in moments go from a SXS to an O/U. Slick, huh.

Now the pump action. Rotate the hinge and it becomes a pump. This one will operate a little different from your basic model 12 or 870, in that the pump action works forward, extracting the shell and allowing another to be loaded from the magazine (what was the other barrel)

For the auto, the action is electric. That’s right an electromagnet powered by a battery in the stock will operate the mechanism for you, every time you pull the trigger.

Stock: No skimping here. Deluxe Texas hackberry harvested from the last old bobwire fence line bulldozed. An option will be a seat built into the stock which will fold out so you can have a seat while waiting for the doves to come in.

I realize the highly technical nature of this has probably confused some of you, so I have attached the drawing to be submitted to the patent house. Note the hunter has deployed the optional seat and “Spot” is admiring the deluxe stock. Note the deluxe checkering.

This is, of course in 16 ga. only. However, I am contemplating a 12 ga. 15 round magazine auto option for the military.

On second thought, you guys are never going to buy this morphidite.

Screw it, I'm going to go figure out something easy like cold fusion or how to run my car on water. I'll have to get back to you on how it goes.

Last edited by mdm1 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

MDM1 you have much tooooo much spare time on your hand!!!! Yet, I admire your understanding of the 16ga complexities and the shooters that covet them.. Wink
Ron
XVI'er
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Milton, I just knew you were a Aggie engineering professor!!! You were holding out on us at the shoot! Why didn't you design a portable AC unit that I could have carried in my "Texas Clays Cart". Laughing

Just wait til I see you again!

prairie_smoke
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Gee, this is a real good start on a gun to satisfy everyone -- except that we'll need a fully adjustable stock so the the rest of the family can use it, too. Oh yes, and it will need to be inexpensive. Thanks for these progressive ideas. Don't give up yet!