16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning A5 16 gauge question
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have a question based on my unfamiliarity with semi-autos. I'm looking at a Belgium Browning A5 16 ga. in very nice condition, but it has a Polychoke that I assume is after-market.. Does this de-value the gun, if so how much, and what would be a reasonable price for it? This is not a Sweet 16. Thanks for any info.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Since it's already poly choked any damage to the value is already done. If it's nice and the price is right (3-400) should do it, buy it, cut the barrel off and put in tubes anyway you want. It'll be a great gun. If you're looking for a shooter, fine. If you're looking for value and collector appreciation, move on. IMHO mod11rem

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

I would shoot it first then decide whether to cut if off.For the money you can't go wrong.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Although I want to make a reasonable deal on this, I guess I'm not as concerned about the value as the shooting quality. Except for a few very minor insect holes on the horn butt plate, this gun is damn near pristine...mirror bores, not a mark on the wood or blue. We're at $400. right now. Will stock barrels from other 16 ga. A5's like the Sweet Sixteen fit this gun? Or do I have to determine that by serial number? This has a vent rib that appears to have been fitted around (over) the Polychoke......very clean installation by whoever did it.
16 Candles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote

If it were mine, first I would make sure it is a 2 3/4" chamber. Some of the older 16s were 2 9/16". I think maybe all Sweet Sixteens are 2 3/4". If you are going to cut off the barrel, make sure it will still be long enough to suit your needs. I have seen some that become really short once the adjustable choke is removed. Any other Sweet Sixteen barrel will work just fine, including Japanese barrels with Invector chokes. Finding good barrels at reasonable prices is starting to become a challenge.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:11 am  Reply with quote

We just checked the Serial No., indicates it was manufactured in 1953. I think that would make it 2-3/4" chamber, correct? So all the A5 16ga barrels are interchangeable?

If the Polychoke was cut off, it would leave approximately 24" barrel. Thanks again for the info.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Birdswatter,

for a guy that was shy about purchasing a 16 you have gone 16 gauge crazy!

You may soon need a 12 step program Twisted Evil

I have a sweet 16, no you can't have it. Don't buy one with those silly poly chokes on it. They are loud and I find them ugly.

The sweet 16 is a great gun for chucks and quail. Mine is 28" with a Mod barrel.

The "sweet 16" needs a Sweet 16 barrel as the standard A5 16s are a different gun
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Yeah Brian, Thanks...............see what a mess you started!!! Now I have a Pudlepointer too!!!!!!!!!
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys, since you are on A5 Sweet 16's I have a question.

I was looking at a Sweet 16 yesterday at a shop. Typical handling marks on the stock, some are probably from buttons and shells on the vest when it was hunted. No scratches or gouges. What's there would most likely steam out. At least most of them would.
A few very very light specks on the 28" vent rib barrel. Would most likely come off with oooo steel wool and Shooter's Choice or Hoppe's. Blue otherwise was great on the barrel and receiver. Same types of marks on the bolt and loading gate. Overall real nice. No cracks in the wood at all, and very clean under the forearm etc.

Question, what would you guys pay for something like this? What is it worth?

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

I would guess such a gun would be about 625-725. Look at this link

http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi?lowprice=0&highprice=99999999&age=0&uid=&words=sweet+16&category=1210&state=All
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, I had checked that site out. It would appear by their descriptions and prices the one I was looking at would be closer to the $1100 mark.
The asking price on the one I was looking at was $1495. It was offered for $1300 which I thought was still a bit high. It would appear I was right. It will most likely sell in this store as they get a lot of traffic. Shame too because it was really clean mechanically and I believe the small flakes on the barrel will come off leaving it almost all original blue. Receiver is nice without any marks.

I know I don't NEED it but I think I WANT it. Laughing It will probably not get shot much at all due to the Merkel and Browning Feather I have. But it would be nice to have an old "Humpback" in 16 ga.

If for nothing else, the owner of the store gave me 2 25 rd boxes of old Winchester Super X 16 ga. slugs. Both in decent shape and both full. Just for looking at the A5.

Last edited by TJC on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

TJC,
I'd have to ask about some other factors which, rightly or wrongly, have a huge effect on value.

Belgian or Jap?
Round knob or flat?
If Belgian and round knob, when was it made? (Can tell by serial no.)

The most desirable and higher priced seem to be the FN, round knob, from the late 50's.

Pete
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

4square,
It was a Belgian w/rd knob.

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter, if you can get the A5 for a good price, buy it! I wouldn't worry about the Polychoke. Really, Polychokes are one of the most useful choke regulating devices ever invented, and they represent a time and idea that was very popular and effective. Still is! The great gunwriter Jack O'Connor was quite fond of Polychokes and he recommended them to many shooters back in their hayday. Handsome is as handsome does! A humpback is a funky-looking enough shotgun that a Poly choke seems to work with the package. I have an old model 12 (1924) in very high condition that I picked up for a song because it has a Poly. It is the ultimate backup shotgun for my 16 gauge hunting. Additionally, my very first shotgun, a Savage 20 gauge has a Polychoke that I personally had installed back in the mid 1970's. The variety of game hat gun has harvested would shock you. It was my duck gun in the old "lead shot" days on the upper Mississippi flyway, and I took my first grouse, pheasant, woodcock, deer, goose, and a few others with that old Polychoked shotgun.

$400.00? Pristine? Buy it! Enjoy the gun AND the Polychoke!
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:33 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Brian Meckler"]Birdswatter,

for a guy that was shy about purchasing a 16 you have gone 16 gauge crazy!

You may soon need a 12 step program Twisted Evil

Make that a 16 step program! Razz Razz
Bill