16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The "New(est)" Ithaca...think they will?
Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Kudos to those trying to get 16ga guns reintroduced (Im thinking about the BPS and the thread on the Double Auto).

Im hoping that the newest incarnation of Ithaca will indeed produce a model 37 in the 16ga, as they have promised on their website. The 12's and 20's that they are producing are beautiful and 100% American-made to boot.

This would be a goood "lobbying" target by those involved...

I agree with other posters as well... getting a company like Franchi or Benelli to produce a 16ga auto would do much to spark interest in the gauge as well...

Barring a reintroduction of the Sweet 16, its the next best alternative...
mtjim
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 am  Reply with quote

I heard the 28 ga. was next on the production line.
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I spoke with Ithaca Gun this am... (ordered a waterfowl barrel for my M37 12 ga).
I was told the project priorities were:
1st 28 gauge M37
2nd O/U
3rd 16gauge M37 (within 12 months)

I was told the design was complete on the 16 gauge, it was just a matter of doing one thing at a time.

Ajax.
Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Ajax did you get one of the new Ohio built guns? Ive heard that they are rolling out a duck gun...is it a camoe'd 37?

Good to hear about the 16... guess its time to start saving my pennies, eh?
ron
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:19 am  Reply with quote

mtjim wrote:
I heard the 28 ga. was next on the production line.

I received a E-mail from Mike Farrell at Ithaca telling me the 16ga would not be produced until after the 28ga was placed into production. I think the the time frame for the 16ga if it is ever put into production will be 2010 or 2011.

RON
M D Christian
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:42 am  Reply with quote

If the Ithaca Company is to survive, they must produce what the Majotity will buy. Although we have a nice little group here, were still very much a Minority. For the last 50 years, the 12 and 20 bore have been the chosen gun and now we have the 28 bore to contend with. The 16 bore has made considerable progress, as evidenced by the Classic double gun market, but it still has a long way to go.. M DC
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Flawaterfowler, I didn't go for a new 37, decieded to get a new barrell for my old 37, and will use the new barrel for steel loads. I did not enquire about a camo gun sorry. The folk seem nice enough and were very helpful to me. They took my name as a "M37 16 gauge" request, and promised to notify me as they get close to production.

Ajax.
Grousen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am  Reply with quote

I will be at the Ithaca Gun Company in Upper Sandusky, Ohio this coming Monday to pick up my new 20 gauge M37. I didn't really need a new 20 gauge but I was so impressed with my Ohio made 12 gauge that I couldn't say no!

I'll ask for an expected availability date for the 16 gauge M37 while I am there. I am expecting they will be available by mid 2009, but that is just my own wild a$$ guess. I will try to nail down a firm guestimate from the owner, Mr. Dave Dlubak.

It sure would be neat if Ithaca made a 16 gauge M37 in a Ruffed Grouse Society special edition with an english stock. If that were to happen I would be lining up for that one too.
budrichard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:59 am  Reply with quote

I ordered and purchased a Model 37 16 gauge from the previous owners with Ithaca 'Ultra Wood'. The gun was NOS and except for the wood was very nice. A replacement stock was agreed upon and I subsequently sold the gun to a Poster unfired.
The primary reason for selling was the whole transaction left a bad taste in my mouth.
I did have time to compare my 1939 M37 16 28" with the 'new' gun, 26" with English stock. The gun had grown in weight from a svelt 6# 5.7oz to 6# 14.3oz. The VR I suppose added weight but where the rest came from I don't know. In any event, the difference seemed like night & day.
Since my 1939 28" is chooked FULL. I am searching for a 26" IC barrel, a fruitless task.
I like and have 16 gauge guns but my next M37 will be the 28 gauge 'if', and that's the big 'if', Ithaca can find some decent wood for a special order.-Dick
jrothWA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Keep looking for the extra barrel.
It took me two+ years for mine, have 1954 and got an 1948 barrel.
Had Dimondale shop in Ithaca do the headspacing and reblue on all.
Now I have a "Skeet" barrel and Mod.
Grousen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 am  Reply with quote

budrichard,

I was at Ithaca Monday, 8-11-08, and spent the afternoon there picking up my new Ohio made 20 gauge M37 with upgraded wood. I also previously bought an Ohio made 12 gauge also with outstanding wood. The pictures of my 12 gauge are on www.shotgunworld.com, "I Love My Ithaca" section, on page 6 of the picture sticky. I hope to have photos posted of my 20 gauge there also, within about a week.

I had a good look in their "wood room", and I would think you would have no problem finding a blank that would more than satisfy you. Ithaca Gun Company is now dealing with a different wood supplier than Ithaca Guns USA had been dealing with.

Ithaca Gun Company is now owned by Dave Dlubak who bought it from Craig Marshall when it was named Ithaca Guns USA. These Ohio made Ithaca 37s made on CNC machining are of EXCEPTIONAL quality.

I was told the 16 gauges, already designed and ready to go, would begin being produced after the 28 gauges had been made. A rough ballpark for 16 gauge availability would be around late spring of 2009.

Hope some of this helps.
jchandler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

More interesting news...

At Jaqua's booth at the Grand I saw 6 Demo models of a 12 ga Model 37 trap gun. Was informed that Ithaca indeed is coming out with the 28ga Mod 37 next, followed by an O/U, and then the 16ga Mod 37. AND a SXS is reported to be in the works!!!!

Now I'm almost as excited as Charles!

Also picked up a bag of the new Claybuster 16 ga clone of the WAA16 wad!
Now to scrounge around for those old compression form Win hulls...they have to be here somewhere.

Jeff
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Grousen, thanks for the update.
For the 28 gauge, I am going to wait and see what the product is like this time before ordering. When the 16 gauge barrels become available, I will send my 1939 M37 for fitting a 26" barrel.
Early season goose starts 9/1 here in Wisconsin and i plan to use a Mint late model 37 in 12 gauge 3" I acquired for $270, box and all at a gun Show. -Dick
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Budrichard,

I very much doubt you would be disappointed with one of the Ohio made Ithacas. They are nothing like the NOS guns. I love the upgraded wood, but I understand the folks who won't pay more for wood when the gun gets alot of hard use in the grouse woods. If you have any special requests/concerns about the stock or wood, dimensions wise or other, talk to Zak. Ithaca has made customer satisfaction a very high priority.

I am quite envious of your living in Wisconsin. I was up in northern Wisconsin last fall for a grouse hunt for the first time and fell in love with your state. You are a lucky man to be living so close to so many birds and great habitat.

It was kind of funny though last fall how the locals just loved filling the visiting hunters' heads with their wolf stories. Should I admit to carrying my Glock .40S&W while grouse hunting up there?

I'm thinking of going back this fall just for one of the local restaurant's fried chicken dinner. Oh, I suppose I just might be taking my Brittany and Ithaca along as well!
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

The only time I carry a handgun is while hunting bear over bait, otherwise your safer in Northern Wisconsin woods than in downtouwn Chicago.-Dick