16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  St. Louis SxS Shoot results
JGH
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Well after a long day, but packed full of fun, our little informal shoot is over. Being the lug head I am, I did not carry my camera with me during the Sporting Clays course. Fortunately, a few others did and I look forward to recieving the pictures and then we can share with you some of the shots that were taken.

I wanted to take this time to thank all who showed up today. Several drove a considerable distance for this little gathering and I am grateful for their efforts.

I also want to apologize now for not being able to spend the time I would have liked to with each and every person that showed up. Some I only got to introduce myself to.

A sick 2 year old at home cut my evening short and I had to scoot out while some still remained and that about made me sick! I will be in contact with each and every person who signed in today. My hat is off to you gentlemen and ladies for making this a fun day for me and several others.

There was quite the variety of guns there on display as well as being used in the field. Soon as I get my notes out I will post some better details. I hope soon that I will have some of the digital pictures too.
Stack16
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Jason,
Great shoot, I enjoyed it, meeting all those people, making new friends, so much to talk about, so little time. Let's do it again some time.
I don't remember signing up tho.

Thanks--Griff
JGH
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Grif,

Please send me an email...I need to add your name to my list. My email is in my profile. Now that we have done this, no reason to not do it again so we can all get to know each other much better. Meeting all the people was the best part of the day for me. There were some AWESOME shots in my group. There were some terrific shooters there today (me not included!)
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Jason and Griff (and everybody else):

AWESOME shoot today. I had great fun shooting with Ed, Bill and Jerry and meeting everyone else. I did not shoot my best - ran a couple of stations (one with the 410) and also missed most birds at some other stations.

Let me know when the next sxs shoot is!

Thanks Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
Amarillo Slim
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Jason,
Thanks for the invitation and the great company. The shoot and the guys were outstanding. I find it hard to believe I haven't been bitten by the double gun bug. But after todays shoot who knows.
I know that Finkel will be after me with a renewed vengence to invest in a SXS.
Thanks again for a great shoot. Should get the pictures to you by Monday.

Dick Roark
JGH
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Dick-

It was indeed my pleasure shooting with you, Steve and Jim. As I told you in person, you are one of the best shots I have ever come across. I could have not shot once yesterday and still enjoyed walking the course with you gentlemen. Some of the shots you made with that little 20g were impressive to say the least.

When you send the pictures...I will host them on my website and post them here for everyone to see. I will check the schedule and try and plan another event in the near future.

For everyone else-

This next time I will "reserve" the pavillion and the 5 stand set up. I had planned on getting group shots while we all were there watching each other shoot that venue. As we found out, the other group that had it stayed longer than I was told they would, but that is fine. Next time...it will be better and have a bit more structure to the days events. Perhaps next time...we will focus on 5 stand, Skeet, and Trap. That way we as a whole group can watch each other and laugh! I will keep everyone posted.

It was also a pleasure meeting Ben and Charles. I enjoyed watching and listening to them talk about the various projects going on. Ben...I indeed would be interested in the fall hunt you mentioned with one of my vintage L.C. Smith 16g's.
steve007
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, Jason, Amarillo Slim is not all that good with an O/U, and I have seen him miss three in a row on a crossing Pheasant with a 391. But the facts are, as you rightly observed, that he is just one of those lucky guys who are just born to shoot a SxS,and it is there that his true talent lies. I believe he is on the verge of purchasing one, and does own 3 16's (alas, all O/U's), so a 16 would be fine with him. If you know of one that you think he would like, feel free to PM or E-mail him. He has commented favorably on a 16g Kimber Valier in the past. He likes minimum 28" barrels, as you saw with the BSS Sporter.
|
I am counting on you to help me show him The Way, and save him from a life wasted on O/U's.
Amarillo Slim
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Jason ,
You know I feel terrible about taking advantage of Steve at the SXS shoot.
First off he had to loan me a SXS since I don't own one of my own. I'm sure he was worried about me defacing his fine BSS Sporter and had a difficult time concentrating on his targets.
Second and probably more important he was burdened with shooting a 12 Bore and I had somewhat of an advantage in shooting a 20 bore.
Third he had a considerable disadvantage in that he was using double triggers.
Most importantly I think he changed choke tubes too often. I assume he became confused and shot the close targets with his full and full combination, and the rest is history.
Even though Steve had a respectable day shooting he was not up to his outstanding skill level that I have come to expect from him and see on a regular basis. Steve does shoot his O/U shotguns much better than he did his SXS at the SXS meet. ( He will probably never admit that fact )
I do indeed feel compassion and in a strange way do covet his little 20 ga SXS. But things being as they are, I probably will stick with my O/U platforms and continue on with them.
I'm sure I will reflect in coming years on what a blue ribbon day shooting that I enjoyed with a fine borrowed SXS. But above all the opportunity to be in the company of such a great group of guys and their beautiful SXS shotguns.

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate.

Slim
JGH
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Steve and "Slim",

We all had our moments of glory and of disbelief...I would venture to say that some of us were not on our game so to speak, while others were. That is how it goes sometimes.

Slim...you need a SxS...your O/U's are oriented the wrong way...rotate them 90 degrees and you will be right on track Very Happy

I can't wait to shoot again. I will be in touch with everyone soon. Next time...5 stand and Skeet...
XVI'er
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I,m very sorry I missed the shoot. Not enough time and I couldn't get anyone free to help share the cost or the drive from Ft Worth. Crying or Very sad Iff'n ya'll have it more to the end of the month next year, I can get some of my pardners to accompany me. We love the SxS 16's as Thinman and O'l Ben will testify to. I may have my L C Smith 16 done by then. All the best to you and those Flatwater Boogers that showed up!

roll crimp
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Seems as though I missed something here?

Where was this shoot held?

JGH
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Roll Crimp,

This shoot was held at the Black Hawk Valley Hunting Club, just east of Troy Missouri. It was an informal gathering and was a good time. We are planning another SxS event in August. I will post about it as it gets closer.
roll crimp
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:09 am  Reply with quote

What happened to the August shoot? Did I miss another post?

RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Jason,

I've recently relocated back to the St. Louis area and would love to join you guys in a little SXS shooting next time you do it.

I've been wanting to get up to Blackhawk since I live in Dardenne Priaire but haven't found anyone to shoot with. Been to St. Louis Trap and Skeet 5 or 6 times however!

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
Stack16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Ralph,

Come on up to Blackhawk. We shoot league every Weds. evening from about 4:30 on. I think it will be over the last Weds. in Sept. until the 1st. Weds. in Apr. when we start again. You shoot league only when you show up, you don't have to make every one.
I'll be there tomorrow evening, 4:30ish.

Ask Paula where is John Griffin