16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Post-54 Rem 11-48
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I believe I read in an earlier thread that the 16 ga 11-48s made after 1954 were on a 20 ga frame. Can anyone substantiate?
mod11rem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

I think you may be right. Since your pm to me about mod 11's, I'v done a little cursory reserach. Mod 11's were made from 1905-1947, and sportsmans from 1930-31 to 1947. the 1148 was introduced in 1948. My 16 Sportsman was brand new in 1946. and my 12 ga. reg. was produced in 1920. Both of these have been in my family since they were bought. I don't even know about the other 12 and 20 sportsmans that I have.

Does anybody know the site for Remington serial look-ups. I've been there but cant find it even on the rem site. I guess if I'm going to own/halfway collect these, I'd better bone up a bit on them. I have a small bone to pick with an editor from gun list who called the mod 11 a "browning knockoff". Same patent but this great gun was produced for many years before the "Browning" A-5 or any other browning on this patent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

For serial numbers, you can see the range of serial numbers for each model (but not specific years) here: http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/

For Remingtons made between 1921 and 1972 I go here: http://oldguns.net/ and then scroll down to Manufacture Dates on the far left.

To see the table that that database refers to try this link:
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/PreviouslyAskedQuestions.htm and click on the button about manufacture dates. It takes you back to oldguns.net, but I always have to go through the Rem Soc to find it.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and try to answer my own question, and provide my findings for possible discussion.

I borrowed a pair of calipers over the weekend and measured the height (as viewed from the side) and the width (as viewed from the top) of the frames of my 1967 12 ga Wingmaster, my 1956 16 ga Wingmaster, and my 1958 16 ga 11-48. They were all within a few hundredths of each other (much of that difference is probably attributable to operator error).

So . . . it appears (unless there are other variables I'm missing) that the early 16 ga 870s really were built on the 12 ga frame. I bring that up because I've seen discussion here that questioned whether that was true.

It also appears that the post-1954 11-48 was NOT built on a 20 ga frame.

Am I missing anything?