16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  cheddite reload problem
silverhawk
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered 100 Cheddite 8mm 16 gauge hulls from Grafs which came preprimed with the Cheddite primers. I loaded and shot these shells. Upon attempting to reprime them with both Cheddite primers and Win 209's, I found that the primers will not properly seat. They are extending beyond the base. When I reloaded some Federal hulls, there were no problem re the Win 209. I am also interested in opinions re hull choices for reloading. Are Fiocchi a superior choice? Any info. appreciated.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Define "extending beyond the base" please Are they not seating deeply enough? Are the primers too small for the pockets? Etc.

If the former, some primers and/or shells mightr need a bit more force or a longer push to seat them home. Your press directions should cover how to adjust the primer seating station for seating depth. Different brands of presses can vary here.

If a standard primer is a bit too small, you can try Fiocchi 216 primers. They are a bit bigger in diameter than the standard 209 primer used by everyone else. They are also a bit stronger, but if your load is moderate, there should be no need to reduce it.
rbg671
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Silverhawk

I've been playing with some 16ga BP Multi-Hull 16/2A.1 hulls. They are green with high brass. I don't know for sure, but they may be made by Cheddite as they came primed with, I think, Cheddite primers. I bought 300 of these and so far so good. I shot off the primed hulls then reloaded with W209's and no problem so far with the primers.

I'm up to 4 loads on the first hundred and once I got the cam setting right on my Mec, they seem to work quite well. (I crushed a few)

I used a BP load with 16.5gr red dot (am currently throwing 16gr), BP SG16 wad, and 1 oz of 8's or 9's, and then an Over Shot Card. Also, I loaded a bunch with BP's x-stream spreaders for use in a Steven's 311 with fixed Mod and Full barrels.

So, I guess I'm happy with the BP load. However, I do have a hundred once fired Fiocchi's and they look like a pretty good hull. So, I will see how far these Multi-Hulls will go.

Just info for what it's worth.

But, I'd like to see what you find out from this post.

Regards

Bob Gustafson
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

silverhawk wrote:
Upon attempting to reprime them with both Cheddite primers and Win 209's, I found that the primers will not properly seat. They are extending beyond the base. When I reloaded some Federal hulls, there were no problem re the Win 209. I am also interested in opinions re hull choices for reloading. Are Fiocchi a superior choice? Any info. appreciated.

Not to worry Grasshopper there is nothing to be concerned with. How far the primer protrudes into the base of the hull doesn't matter so long as you are shooting a load with reliable data. The base wad of the Cheddite hull is just lower than the paper base wad of the Federal hull.

Winchester Super X (Cheddite clone), Remington and Federals have all worked well for me. I have had some of the Remington Game Load hulls last through 12 - 13 reloadings. They were pretty ragged when I finally tossed them but could have probably gotten one more load out of them.
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Re Cheddite hulls...More precisely, I mean to say that the primer is not seating deep enough into the primer pocket. And my Mec 600 Jr. doesn't seem to have an adjustment for the primer seating station. When I couldn't get the Win 209 primer to seat flush with the bottom of the shell, I knocked out a Cheddite 209 primer from a new hull I purchased from Grafs (they come preprimed) and attempted to insert that primer into a once fired Cheddite hull. The result was that the primer was not fully seated and stuck out of the primer pocket. Now, I have reloaded Federal hulls with this same reloader, and have not had any problems. It leaves me feeling foolish- should be a simple fix- but on the Mec 600 Jr my owners sheet states there is no adjustment for this station. Anyhoo, I sent an email to Mec for advice as well and am awaiting a response. Quick solution- buy more Federal shells, shoot and reload, but I am notoriously frugal, er cheap actually, and had plans for those Cheddite hulls.
birddog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

silverhawk,
I've checked my federal and fiocchi hulls and both are approximately .080" deeper than the cheddites. So with that said I would suggest trying to seat the primer with a little more authority or buy the primer recontioning tool which I use on most all fiocchi and cheddite hulls after first fire, works great just another step but all 209 primers will be flush after that.
Charlie Wink
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:42 am  Reply with quote

I have loaded 1000's of Cheddite hulls, with both Win. 209 primers and Cheddite 209 primers. Never had a problem seating them. I did have a batch of hulls a year ago, that seemed to have larger pockets, as the Win. primers would fall out occasionally. It hasn't happened in a while now.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Could your station one resizing/decapping die collar be misadjusted down too low? If the bottom of the collar is hitting the shell support base before the down stroke is complete, then it could be shortening the down stroke and preventing you from fully seating the primers when you use the priming station.

Try this. Loosen the sizing collar on the tube bottom and screw it up until you see daylight between it and the support base with the resizer in the full down stroke. Then try and seat a primer. If the primer seats fully, then you've solved the problem. The proper way to adjust the sizing collar is to hold the resizer fully down, then screw the collar down slowly until it just very lightly touches on the support base. It should not contact the support base more than with just a kiss. That is your full down adjustment. Any more will cause your reloader to short stroke all the other stations.

The steel base rims used on many of today's 16 gauge hulls are tough to resize properly with the standard MEC 600 resizing collar. These collars were designed for brass rims which are much easier to squeeze down. If the steel rims are not resized enough once you've adjusted the collar normally, then you will have to adjust it down far enough to do the job, resize/ deprime all your shells first, and then screw the collar back up so you can reload the shells normally from repriming on. Its a pain, but that is the best way to ensure your steel rim hulls will feed properly.

Another problem could be the primer seating ram post is too short. I'd check it against another part and see. Mec will replace for free, any part that is defective and out of spec due to a machining error. You can also place a thin shim washer or two fashioned out of an aluminum beverage can between the top of the post and the underside of the die carraige. Simply loosen the nut, remove the ram, place the shims over the threaded stem, and reinstall it. Adjust the ram down one thin shim at a time until the primers seat deep enough.

I'd look at these two items. I'm betting on the first one. It's the most common cause of a problem. So be sure of this before shimming the priming ram. If you don't and the resizing collar is later readjusted back up, you might start crushing the primers. Good luck.
silverhawk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.....With the handle down, the ram was at full extension and just a hair short - by placing a washer under the reprime station I effectively lengthened the ram. Now the primers are fully seated and flush and later MEC responded to my email with the same advice...