16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Choke tubes for SxS
DougK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone use choke tubes on their SxS?

When I first start my quest for the 16 ga one of my requirements was screw in chokes. This was a requirement becasue my 12 ga SxS and combo gun (12 ga and 30-06) both have screw in chokes. The SxS is IC and M yet I have not added any additional chokes. The combo has F, M, IC, Rifled and Turkey chokes which are constantly changed for the situation.

After not finding any 16 ga with screw in chokes I droped the requirement. Looking back I am glad it did. The 16 ga is a bird gun, the the IC and M chokes are perfect and fixed chokes are easier to clean.

Doug
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Doug:

I have choke tubes in 12 ga, 20 ga, and 28 ga sxs guns - I like them and change them for whatever game I'm shooting. My 410 sxs is fixed ic/mod. I also have a fixed skeet/ic choked 20 ga sxs.

That said, my THREE 16 ga sxs ALL have fixed chokes.

AYA Matador has ic/mod (opened up from mod/full)

Dad's Old Gun (the Fox Model B) has quail 1/quail 2 (actually Standard Forge and Axle chokes - see my post on Dad's Old Gun)

another more recent Fox Model B with IM/Full (at least on my gauges)

I've wrestled with buying one of Mark DeHaan's sgr deluxe 16s - 28 inch barrels, grade 5 wood, single trigger - you get the idea - and sending it straight to Briley for thin-walls for several years now. However, I LIKE extended tubes for asthetic reasons and I just can bring myself to do it - YET Wink

Since I have a choice of several 16 sxs guns with different chokes and two 16 ga browning citoris with screw in tubes and a remington 1100 16 ga with screw in chokes - I certainly get by Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

I attempted to have the Briley Thin Walls put in my Merkel but it did not have enough metal to do it. So I had them open the chokes up to Skt 1/Skt 2 (light Mod). It has worked very well this year for pheasants in that configuration. Although I don't know how it would do on wild birds out west where the shots would most likely be further. With the right ammo, Fiocchi GP maybe it would work. Might try it out next year in SD. Wink

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Call me crazy Twisted Evil but the SK1 and SK2 in my 16 and 12 gauges do well on wild west birds. The 1 1/16 oz. and 1 1/4 oz. #5 nickle plated shot respectivly seem to take them down solid if I do my part. Shooting over my lab I have had to let a distant flier go but there is always another one closer. The SxSs which I have Briley chokes in seem to have the SK (SK1)and LM(SK2) in most of the time.
Good shooting,
Ron
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Ron,
That's good to hear. I wasn't sure being so open if they would be good out west on the wild roosters. I've only ever hunted birds out west once, in Kansas about 4 years ago. A lot of the shots seemed to be a bit far. At the time we were using 12 ga with 23/4" high brass 4's. They had no problem getting the job done.

Hope to try the Merkel 16 ga out in either SD or Mont. next season.

Tom

Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

When I got into pointing dogs for pheasant, I had one of my Parkers rechoked to 1/4 and 3/4 and my friend that has a Webley and Scott got it choked I.C. and full for use with flushing dogs. If they flush close, front trigger; if they flush farther out, back trigger-simple. What we both noticed when we shot them on pattern boards was that British gunmakers and highly skilled American gunsmiths really know what they are doing when it comes to choking barrels; at 35 yds. a dragonfly couldn't fly through that pattern. The Brits have long known, and American gun and ammo manufacturers have long ignored, that pattern kills birds, not shotstring.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

DougK

BINGO. Screw chokes are a useless PITA on a bird gun. You win the prize by realizing they just aren't needed.

Ever wonder how those old time guys killed so many birds without screw chokes in their guns?

C Man

Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Chukarman: Sitting here in the rain, the sight of that country makes me drool Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:16 am  Reply with quote

BC, not to take this thread off track, but you are the only other 16GS poster I've heard of that has a Matador besides me. I'd like to compare notes. How do you like yours? How are the triggers, ejectors etc.. Any problems? I'd appreciate any input you could give . Thanks. 16GG.

PS, Skeet and snug modified will suffice for 99% of upland hunting with the 16 IMO. A simple program of load developement from spreader to tight patterning rounds will fill in the blanks. All screw in chokes do is make it easier for non reloaders to get the patterns they need with the ammo they can buy.