16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Banquet humor
Rockydog
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

I was out to supper last night and waiting at the bar for a table to open up. I struck up a conversation with a guy I know when I see him but have had no real contact with. We were talking about reloading shotgun shells etc. He proceeded to tell me that the best shotguns slugs can be made by taking factory rounds and scoring them all the way around the hull with a utility knife just where the wad meets the powder. He said if you do it right the whole top of the shell becomes the projectile with the slug encased inside and all you eject out of the gun is the base of the hull. I asked him how the hull would get through the choke or even down the barrel. His answer? "I shoot them in a cylinder bore gun, there's plenty of room for the case". I hope there wasn't anybody who overheard the conversation and is stupid enough to try this. Maybe he'll make this year's list for the Darwin Awards. RD
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Mod 97 wrote:
16gg - I agree with everything you have posted on this thread and so I'm interested in what your thoughts are as far as getting new people decent information. How do we train up ethical sportsmen instead of the greedy, self centered, competitors that are resulting from modern media?

Outside of good one on one mentorship, I'm at a loss. The magazines, the videos, and TV shows are garbage.

NR

I think good sportsmanship and respect for anything is learned from early childhood on. My training started there. my mother insisted that I treat everyone and everything with due respect. She also thought me to avoid those who lacked the good sense and manners required to be decent human being.

The problem we have today is that the system teaches us all people are born with rights, but fails to teach us that those rights end just short of another person's nose. We are taught is is okay to be self important and self indulgant without regard to other folks.

My best answer is to insist that your own childern act with courtesy, good manners, and due respect. Teach them that being a good human being is a learned skill, not an inborn right or instinct. They will learn who is and who is not a good human being. The rest will just fall right in line.
mtjim
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

The biggest help I ever received on hunting ethics was through books on upland shooting.

George Bird Evans
Burt Spiller
H.G. Tappley
Nash Buckingham
Archibald Rutledge
Havilah Babcock

Just to name a few of my favorite authors.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

There are some fine mentors there. These folks grew up in a time where good manners and respect for others were drummed into childrens' heads before they went to grade school. Many were raised by veterans or childern of veterans of the Civil War. some served in the Spanish- American War, WWI, and even WWII.

Our world was a different and a harder place then in many ways. Folks who survived long enough to have children knew the value of respect. The lack of it could get a person killed or ruined.

My mother was born in 1905. Her father was a sargeant major in the US cavalry when they actually rode horses. He served in the Southwest against Geronimo during the last Apache uprisings. He also served in Cuba and the Phillipines. He saw the horrors and endured things few folks could even imagine today. They say he had a steel ramrod for a backbone and commanded respect from everyone he met without having to ask for it. Standing fast with a Colt Model P .45 revolver and a sabre against an Apache or Moro charge will do that to one's backbone I suspect.

I never knew him directly. He died from the affects of malaria and battle wounds before I was born. However the lessons I learned at his daughter's knee were passed down from her own childhood. Through her, I owe him my thanks. The lessons have often served me well. I've also on occasion, paid dearly for a lapse in good sense and good manners. Those few occasions tend to drive the lessons home in a young man raised under this older code of conduct.

However, in our society, folks are more apt to be taught to lay the blame and consequences of their actions off on others. It seems that nobody is taught to take responsibility for one's own actions. It is always the other guy who caused a lapse in judgement, manners, or common sense. Self control is viewed as being repressed, weak, or stupid. So as long as things go this way, things will continue down hill I guess.

However, my grandfather's eyes and those of his daughter will always be on me. So other folks can see me as they wish. I will honor his lessons, and ignore the rest. In short, I will keep my own council. It has served me well into my 7th decade. I see no need to change now.