16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Finally found a M12
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have been searching for a M12 for some time---Went to the Arcola,Il show today(Sat) at the last table there was a 16 ga. in dang near mint condition for $650 Shocked Dealer had just traded it in---Looked up the serial # and placed it at 1930--What a find Very Happy Will take it out and put some shells thru it Sunday---28 inch bbl and a full choke---hope there are some crows waiting for me Twisted Evil Or the club---either way this fine old shotgun will be seeing some use Cool
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up the same setup last spring in also in near mint condition. IMHO, the model 12 is the best overall handling, pointing and swinging shotgun. When a pump was used for trap, quite a few trophies where won with that model. I know you'll enjoy your guy because I'm finding my model 12 is my new "go to" gun.
dogwhisperer5
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I have one in the same configuration as yours(16/28"/plain/full) in the same condition....mine's from 1940. They are indeed great shotguns from a time the likes of which will never be seen again. "Blued steel and walnut"...the way sporting firearms were intended to be.
Enjoy it...and remember it's "The Finest Hammerless Repeating Shotgun Ever Made"!

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I just bought one also. Laughing
Mine is straight stocked, 28" vent rib barrel, with a modified choke. Very Happy

M12shooter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
I have been searching for a M12 for some time---Went to the Arcola,Il show today(Sat) at the last table there was a 16 ga. in dang near mint condition for $650 Shocked Dealer had just traded it in---Looked up the serial # and placed it at 1930--What a find Very Happy Will take it out and put some shells thru it Sunday---28 inch bbl and a full choke---hope there are some crows waiting for me Twisted Evil Or the club---either way this fine old shotgun will be seeing some use Cool

Nice shotgun hoashooter as a 1930 M12 near mint in any gauge is a good find. Have a gun locker full of M12's myself, 12, 16 and 20 gauge. The 16's have always been the sweetest to shoot!

Just a note, Winchester stopped producing nickel steel barrels around the 1930 era and switched to the "new" proof steel barrels which were a bit stronger. If your gun is in fact of nickel steel ya might not want to but too many high pressure mag. loads though the old gal.

Oh yes, one ounce of 71/2 or 8's are shear murder on crows! Good shooting.

Ted