16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  roll crimp - trim question
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I have deceided to try some roll crimp loads. I have the BPI Multihulls, and my question is: Do I need to trim these hulls when loading 2 3/4 inch loads and using a roll crimp?

If triming is recommended, how much is left above the overshot card prior to rolling?

thanks, Ajax.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

You only want about 3/16" of hull above the O.S.C.
If your using a drill press, with plastic hulls, lube the tool and go slow. You don't want to melt or fuse the plastic together.

Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

The total length of the shell before crimping should be the 2 3/4" measurement, same as in folded crimps. That's the length that has to fit in the gun chamber. Rolled crimps generally allow a little more shell length to be used for shot capacity than folded crimps do. But the length of either type of finished cartridge will be less than 2 3/4".

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

A 2 9/16th roll crimped shell has about the same internal capacity as a folded crimp 2 3/4 inch shell so unless you want to use a bunch of filler it is easier to trim your hulls to 2 9/16th inches. You can use the same loading data as you would for a 2 3/4 folded crimp shell but MV and chamber pressure will be a bit less due to reduced resistance from the rolled crimp when the shell is fired.
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

thanks
Ajax
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Golfswithwolves wrote:
The total length of the shell before crimping should be the 2 3/4" measurement, same as in folded crimps. That's the length that has to fit in the gun chamber.

That is just not true!
You can put any size shell you want in a 2-3/4" chamber gun, as long as it's not longer than 2-3/4" I have loaded shells as short as 2-3/8".

Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Dave- Of course you're right; I expressed myself poorly I guess. Any length opened shell of 2 3/4" or less can be used in a 2 3/4" chamber. What I was trying to express was that the rolled-crimp shells did not need to be trimmed shorter than 2 3/4" (unless you want to make a shell that opens up shorter than this length) Thanks for keeping my words honest! Smile

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:54 am  Reply with quote

My only concern is that if you use your normal load, for a 2-3/4" fold crimped hull, and try to roll crimp it. You'll be trying to roll crimp about 3/8" of hull. You might get away with it on a paper hull, but I think it will be tough on a plastic hull. I hate roll crimping plastic hulls anyway. Paper works so much better.

steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Dave Miles is correct. Just for fun I once loaded up some 3/4 ounce loads in 2" hulls and then roll-crimped them. You should have seen the looks I got at the gun club. Very Happy Wink Laughing

sv
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Steve,
What are you using for your 3/4oz load? I have some hulls that I am thinking about roll crimping. They were miistakes I made and I cut the hulls to get out the shot. They are BP hulls. I did not make the first cut to straigt, but there is enough left for 2 inches.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Miles wrote:
My only concern is that if you use your normal load, for a 2-3/4" fold crimped hull, and try to roll crimp it. You'll be trying to roll crimp about 3/8" of hull. You might get away with it on a paper hull, but I think it will be tough on a plastic hull. I hate roll crimping plastic hulls anyway. Paper works so much better.

I find that 3/8ths inch is just about optimal for roll crimping plastic hulls. Plenty of room for the case mouth to turn over and seal the over shot card.

I agree that paper is a much better hull to roll crimp but I have learned to make due with those dreaded plastic hulls. Now if someone could come up with an aerosol spray that smelled like a newly fired Remington Express paper shell on a cold Autumn morning.
steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

I used a modification of my standard load. 15.5 gr of GD, some old BP plastic gas seals I had laying around, a cork filler wad, and an overshot card in a severely cut down Federal hull. They seemed close to my usual 1217 fps.

I sent some of them to Wisconsin & Steve Grozik killed a ruff and several woodcock with them using #8 shot. He saved the rest of them saying they were too cute to shoot.

sv
postoak
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Give some of those to Tiny, Steve Laughing
steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

postoak wrote:
Give some of those to Tiny, Steve Laughing

I already hooked Tiny up with the regular 3/4 load in 2.5" hulls. He LOVES them.

sv