16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16ga drillings
greg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, new to this site, and I have found it great. Been shooting various 16ga guns since my first gun back in 1959. I specialize in Drillings (combination 3 barrel ) and have noticed that" almost" all are 16ga. Do you think this is because it allows for a lighter gun or were the Europeans convinced that it possses the best all around ga.?
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:49 am  Reply with quote

I think the man who chooses a Drilling is the most pragmatic of all gun owners. The drilling owner know the 16 gauge is the best upland game gun in the world Cool

All kidding aside. In Germany the drilling is very popular. Their stag season is the same time as the bird season. The 16 gauge is / was very popular in Germany because most of the small game is taken on the wing in the form of a walk up hunter.

The Germans are very pragmatic. They want the best all around performance. Look at the hunting dogs they produced. Just like their guns a German dog can do it all.
DougK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

I also noticed every drilling was a 16 ga. I was looking at it from the perspective of the 12 must not have been popular in Europe. Does anyone know what the popular ga is in Europe now, as well as, during the early 1900's?

Doug

p.s. I need that Krieghoff, can some one donate $4,000 to me? Laughing
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

If it ain't broke don't fix it Wink Wink Wink
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:07 am  Reply with quote

I refer you to my post here.......

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599

Brian, you've held this drilling, so you know what I'm talking about here......
DougK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

What a lovely gun...

How is the weight and the swing?

Also, please dont forget about the 16 rescue project. If yoiu need me to rescue this excelent example of fine craftsmanship please let me know Laughing Smile
Doug
16 Candles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody know if these old drillings and side-by-sides from Europe had 2 3/4" or 2 9/16" chambers or both? My father brought home from WWII an interesting 16ga X 9.3x72R. As a kid, I took it duck hunting a few times and fired high-brass 2 3/4" loads through it without a hitch. I never dreamed at that time that the chamber could be too short! I think I need to just find out for sure.
OldM12-16gaMan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have a buddy who has a Krieghoff 3 barrel 16ga 7x57 under.Beautifil shotgun combo. His father brought it back after the war.Beautifil wood lot of engraving in excellent condition . he has never shot it I think he wants to sell it.I'm not sure if it's 21/2 or 23/4in chamber.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

DougK.........
These Drillings are fairly heavy and do not handle like any double you have shouldered. I have not fired this gun (and it has not been fired since pre-WWII. It was presented to me by my Father about 3 years ago, and I have been trying to get him here for a visit to witness the first firing. It doesn't look like that will happen now, so I am going to make a video, documenting the history of the gun as I know it, the Sauer history up til the war, and finally a session at the range with some Vintagers and maybe a preserve hunt or even a pig drilling (sorry, couldn't help myself) if possible. Then I can send the video to him Smile . This gun means alot to me as I first met it when I was about 9 years old and first started shooting. The strange thing about this Drilling (and Brian can attest to this) is that it has so much cast-off that it almost lines up with your off-eye! Almost 2-inch cast-off, maybe more! Must have belonged to a very broad, stein-hefting German gentleman! Wink

16 Candles......
I have not determined chamber depth yet and have not deciphered all the markings.

OldM12.......
Check your private mail.......
greg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

These drillings are difficult to get ammo(rifle) ,chamber lengths vary, terrible swing,weight,cast off extreme, dont' waste your time........anyone have any for sale?