16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New 16ga owner...new to forum!
chilly460
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:17 am  Reply with quote

Hello All!

Great site! I have recently gotten into shooting sports and a bit of preserve pheasant hunting. I received my grandfather's 16ga Ithaca 37 Featherlight today and I couldn't be happier. It's well worn and is equipped with 28" barrel and full fixed choke. My grandfather and I were just about polar opposites in size/build but this gun was made for me!! I cannot wait to go bust a few clays with it tomorrow. I've read about the great balance and "pointability" of the lightweight 16ga pumps, this gun doesn't disappoint.

I own a 20ga Ithaca 500 o/u, Citori 12ga, Beretta 391 12ga, 20ga Montefeltro, and two 12ga 870s and I can honestly say that the after playing around with them all today...the only one that feels as nice as the 16ga is the Ithaca o/u. I have full faith that this old pump will be my new upland gun of choice...provided I can shoot well enough with the full choke!!
jerry
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Welcome.
I'm sure your 16 will find a fond place in yoir heart. Wink
Bronco
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I know exactly how you feel. I shoot my grandfathers 16ga M12 and have been for many years. My 25yo son shoots the 20ga 1100LW that he grew up with, but has expressed an interested in being the 4th generation to shoot the M12. I told him I thought it was a great idea. Besides, I need the Fiocchi hulls to cut down to 2.5in for my 16ga double Very Happy
chilly460
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:44 am  Reply with quote

The stock is cracked and it runs a full choke but I think I'm going to leave it alone...I want to keep it as my Grandpa owned it. Raining today so I'm going to beat the bushes for some more 16ga ammo, I was able to scare up 4 boxes of Remington game loads but that's it. I do some 12ga reloading and have learned the advantages of loading so I'll be looking for a single stage 16ga loader so I can always have some ammo on hand...although I see there's some trouble finding wads.

My grandpa was a good shot in his day so hopefully I don't embarrass his old gun!!!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Dang chilly-don't be shy-where do ya hail from??????
chilly460
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Ah, I was a bit lazy when registering.

I'm from Richmond, VA...moved down here about a year and a half ago.

I was able to find two bags of SP16 wads yesterday, I don't have a loader to do any 16ga with but I figured it was best to grab wads whenever they're available. I know you can find them online but my local store has very good prices so I'm hoping they'll keep them in stock.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! I am new myself and have enjoyed this site immensely. I also have a 20ga Montefeltro which is now my inclement weather gun and was my "go to" gun until I got a Merkel 1620 which has more punch for prairie birds.

HC

Nevada Supersport
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

I just found out about this forum today from a good friend in Arkansas. I think he is trying to get even with me for teaching him the joys of shotguning. He is a 16 ga fan and is trying to convert me, please twist my arm. When I have had more time to browse the site I will make a comment here or there. Good shooting Razz

chilly460
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Highcountry wrote:
Welcome aboard! I am new myself and have enjoyed this site immensely. I also have a 20ga Montefeltro which is now my inclement weather gun and was my "go to" gun until I got a Merkel 1620 which has more punch for prairie birds.

HC

Some coincidence there, I just picked up a very nice used 20ga Montefeltro last weekend. I like it so far but I agree, I'll feel better with the 16ga for shooting pheasant.

I attempted a round of 100 sporting this weekend with the Ithaca. It has issues extracting the spent round sometimes...a lot of times...I think it's just a matter of needing a good cleaning. It appears that it's a simple matter of the extractor arm not grabbing the brass to pull it out of the chamber. When it was working, it was a sweet gun to handle...wish I were a match for the gun. 31/100...ugh!!!