16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading for Shotgunners 5th Edition
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Just arrived today. Waste of money IMO. Data tables are very confusing. Looking thru the 12 gage data it was hard to tell if the data was for 1 oz, 1 1/8, etc. Also, the 12 gage data did not seem to go in order, EX 7/8, 1 , 1 1/8, etc but jumped around. Altho it is known that Remington Gun Club and black Game Loads can be loaded with STS data there was no mention of this. Newer reloaders are ill served.

The 16 gage data was limited and had a goodly amount of data for the obsolete WAA16 wads. I am not going to pay going going e-bay rates for these wads and anyone who still has a supply will have data so why in heck are they listed in a newly published manual? Again, new reloaders are ill served as they will be going to the local gunshop asking for WAA16 wads.

If I want data for obolete components I'll pick up the free data from the powder manufacturers.

It seems that Krause is slowing ruining the old DBI Books as last years Gun Digest was a pitiful book as well.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

I agree. I looked at it. It's a waste of money.

I checked some of their data from the 4th Ed with a chronograph and it wasn't even close. I won't use their data anymore.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

New or experienced -we need updated recipies no doubt about it!!!What do they do stick a new cover on some of these "manuals" and call 'em new while still reataining the last editions,or older data??? Evil or Very Mad
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I thumbed thru this manual some more yesterday after making this post and got angrier by the minute. No longer produced powders, primers, wads, and hulls are featured prominently. Just a few examples: 452AA, 473AA, 540, 571 powders are listed. The WAA16 and 12C1 wads are listed. No mention is made of the new AA HS hulls. Remington 209 primers are listed when the only Remington primer is now the 209PSTS.

If some of these items were just discontinued in the past year I could understand their being included but these items have not been produced in some years and there is no longer a valid reason to include them in a "new" data book.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:40 am  Reply with quote

I made the mistake about 10 years or so ago of buying a shotgun reloading manual by Ed Matunas. The book was poorly editted and the opinions and advice on guns, loads, and data was old news and conservative to the point of being reactionary. All Matunas did was copy data right out of the various powder manufacturers' free annual handbooks. And then he couldn't get the data properly organized or place the right headers in the right catagories. it was a bad joke.

Now I call the manufacturers every year or so for their free data and get some extra copies for my friends. I have a small library of these handbooks back to 1972 in some cases. It costs nothing and the data is usually up to date...except for 16 gauge of course.