16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Last weekend in Kansas
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:47 am  Reply with quote

I finally got well enough to head to west Kansas for the last weekend of bird season. It was warm, dry, and WINDY; sustained winds of 40 or so, and gusting higher. Six guns and one dog, and we got one pheasant Saturday morning; my nephew had to chase it 1/4 mile or so after he knocked it down. I hit one that blew straight back over my head, but didn't hit him very hard. He went down but we never found him. The rest (darn few) flushed wild and crazy. Can't give much of a report on the Kent loads, as I threw 5-6 at birds that were headed south faster than my pellets would go!

Everyone else bailed that afternoon, so I went down around the small town where I grew up; haven't hunted there in over 40 years. Kinda fun to stomp a few spots that my dad and brothers and I hunted "back in the good old days"; was sad to see meny of them posted, and with names on the mail boxes I never heard of. I enjoyed the nostalgia, but I never saw a bird.

Sunday AM (still windy) three of us and the dog did a bunch of driving, saw a few flushing wild, and ran the dog for exercise. Stomped a few pockets; never fired a shot. The wife and I headed home that afternoon; had planned to stay through Monday, but got tired of fighting the wind and eating dust.

Didn't have a fly rod with me, and found out that a local reservoir had just stocked a bunch of trout; bet the fishing would have been better than the hunting!

Anyway, another season in the books; here's to next year!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Would have enjoyed being out with you anyway Fin. Do you ever see any teens out with dads or uncles anymore? None of my buddies in KC seem to be able to get their sons (or daughters) interested in shooting/hunting.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

You did better then I did I spent a week in Kansas and no birds. Of coarse it didn't help I only made it one block into Kansas and spent a lovely week at a outfitter called KU Med Center. After an 8 hour double spinal fusion the only hunting I did was for the button on my morphine pump. I did find if I hit the button enough I could dream up any hunting adventure I wanted. The worst thing was missing my year old French Britt pup. Couldn't figure out how to sneak in a 30 pound dog into the hospital. Tried to talk my son into getting a white cane and sun glasses but he wouldn't go for it. It's nice to be back home and next year when I head to Kansas I'll be taking my 16ga and my pup.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Matt, that's one trip I'm glad I missed! Wish you a speedy and complete recovery, as painlessly as possible!

Rev, I see a few. My home stomping grounds are largely rural/small town and it's still a way of life for many of those folks. Plus the family I married into is a big hunting family. One bro-in-law has two sons (16 and 12, I think) who hunted with us, and there are various other cousins, nephews, etc, from time to time.

My own son (now 30) doesn't hunt, but fortunately we fish together. My daughter doesn't do either.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

Mattc, that sounds like a situation not to get into. I hope all turns out well for you. I once had kidney stones so bad they had me on stiff doses of morphine. I was so screwed up numb that I thought that I was squeezing the cute little nurse's butt and then realized I had a hold of my own. Crying or Very sad Wink You heal up soon now...and squeeze a cute nurse's butt for me. You can always blame it on the drugs. Wink
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks I'm doing a lot better. I do miss the nursing students damn they were cute. One of them changed my abdominal dressing, when they had put it on in surgery they taped way to low. I now know what a bikini wax feels like.