16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Gene Hill on 16 ga. Win. M-21
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

GOT SLING
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Are you hunting or base jumping? Very Happy I originally used the word freebasing, but realized my error after the drugs wore off. Laughing

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Well Ted, I did not realize you had to carry your dog, your gear, and some old guy at the same time. In that case I'd need a sling too. In fact more than one. I'd have one for my gun, and one for my butt... because it would sure be in one by the end of the day under that situation. Wink
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm really confused. Ted, maybe you can help me out of my ignorance -- I didn't know my 16 hits like a 20. If I take weight out of the stock to get down to 6.5 lbs., will it then hit like a 16? Or do I have to get down to 6.25 lbs maybe??

GC
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Brian, I don't know about chukar hunting since we don't have them here. but I do know that the parachute on my back would probably inhibit my gun swing. I sure as hell would not be that high up without one either... and probably an oxygen bottle too.Smile However, if thats a short hair out front of you, you got the dog part right at least. Wink By the way, do 6 lb. guns carry like a 28 and hit like a 10...at both ends? Smile

gunflintC, probably, but by that time, your swing and timing would most likely be so screwed up that you might as well be carrying a 6 oz. badminton racket to swat the birdies.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,

horses for courses as the saying goes. I have room in my safe for light and moderate weighted 16 gauges. With your help I found a nice 16 gauge Citori that has been a pleasure to shoot. I wouldn't change a thing.

On the other had when the limit of Chukar is 8 birds and if your lucky you'll get 10-12 shots off in an 8 hour Bataan death march hunt the recoil isn't that bad. In the dove field a 7 pound 16 would be just what the doctor ordered.

Good boots, a light gun and a good dog is the formula for us idiots that chase the grey devil.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

I'm so glad you got a nice Citori 16. I was wondering how you made out there. It is a truely practical gun and right by sheer happenstance. Miroku and Browning got this one right in spite of themselves. They do tend to overbuild them a tad.

As far as doves are concerned, try some 3/4 oz #7-1/2 or #8 reloads with the appropriate chokes. You will drop them like they were pole-axed and your shoulder will feel fine at day's end. Same for skeet too.

If I was a younger buck with better legs and lungs, I'd play the idiot right there with you and never bat an eye. Now getting up into a 20 foot high deer stand is about all I can risk, and then only on a good day. I've read and heard about chukar hunting all my life. I believe Jack O'Conner used to hunt them regularly with an AyA 16 or a model 21 well into his 60's. He must have been one tough old coot.

One can never have too many 16 gauge guns. but 28 and .410 guns keep catching my eye too. I have a weak spot for the little bores. So many choices, so little time...and money. Good luck with that 16 Citori. I hope it shoots as sure and deadly as the finger of doom for you. 16GG
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

The reason we are here on this board, is that the 20 hits just like a 16. Sorry, but that is just the simple truth. Our 16s were replaced by something similar, that hit just as hard and would be offered in more varieties by the people who produced ammunition and guns.

16 gauge guy, I have hunted with 15 year old dogs in the past (they have moved on, but, I wouldn't have missed their company for those trips) that needed to be carried out at the end of the day. Further, my 76 year old career Marine father sometimes has a little trouble at the end of the day and can use a hand. Now, try using that silly gun over the shoulder bit of your's, and carrying father's gun, and game bag, and you will realize just how foolish that is without a good sling, as pictured by our friend Mr. Meckler. I'm blessed as I have had the company of dogs and old folks out hunting that wouldn't have made the trip had I not been able to lend a hand.

Their company is, and was, it's own reward. I have guns without slings as well, but, they are missing when the elders, human or canine, make the trip.
Best,
Ted
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody notice that this board is starting to sound a little like that "other" one which shall remain nameless? Never used to, and personally I think it's a damn*d shame.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Confusion twice confounded! Every path for this logic of gauges and hits leads to ennui and the brink of meaninglessness ... I can't go on.

Sorry Fin!

GC
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Fin,

I think a lot of 16GG's sarcasm is lost in printed form. It seems more like friendly banter rather than abusive ad hominem

Unless your talking about me Embarassed
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, exactomundo. Sheesh... Ted...you old poop...lighten up Very Happy . Life is hard enough without a little banter and a friendly nudge in the ribs from the folks around you. It is what makes the work-a-day world a more bearable place. If we take everything in life so seriously, it will really hurt us. I'm sure you love your old dog as I love my old Heidi. I'm certain you love your dad, and I'm sure he's a good guy too. I'm fairly certain he'd read my reply and chuckle at its absurdity. Come on guys... smile a little. Good natured humor is the grease that releaves the friction of everyday life. Without it our asses would all certainly be in a sling. Laughing 16GG.

PS, Iths pure herethy to thay the twenty ith as good as the thixteen... pure herethy I tell you. Iths Dithpicable!!! Thumbody remove that thinner!!