16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roll turnover tools
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:38 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Lemming"]Does anybody know where I can get a 16 gauge roll turnover tool?quote]

Precision Reloading also has them. Dave at BPI suggested running his tools in reverse or counter clockwise for opitimal roll crimps. I use both PR and BPI tools and found it works better on certain tools and clockwise works better on the others. Also, I have found that hitting the head of a cold tool (in the drill press) for 5-6 seconds with a propane torch before starting a crimping sesion, hot cup of coffee hot, produces great crimps from the get go in 24, 20, 16 & 10ga. Good Luck, Mike

fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Lemming, I like the idea of making it in 2 pieces. That should save messing around grinding a piece of tool steel to get the right recess. Thanks for the measurements. Just a thought: How about using a 1/2" bolt with the head cut off and dressed ( to approx. length) and threaded from the bottom up through the body of the tool. On the flat (top) side use a pair of jam nuts and that way you could vary the length of the center section. Fred

Last edited by fred lauer on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Black&Tan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am  Reply with quote

I think running the tool CCW works best in the southern hemisphere..
Lemming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I must try pre-heating the tool; sounds like a good idea.

Fred; I made mine out of ordinary mild steel rather than carbon steel. I also use mild steel for making the rotary cutters for chomping out filler wads from fiberboard; I didn't like the thought of the distortions I'd be likely to get from heat treatment or case hardening such thin-walled material.

Using a bolt sounds good. Bear in kind that you have to turn down the back end quite some to fit in the drill chuck; also, you'll want to turn down the central insert so that there's a radius at the point where it emerges through the collar, in order to form a U-shaped bottom for the slot. This is essential for getting the case lips to curl and fold under. I probably misled you when I said I used 1/2" rod. The resulting centre boss was 1/2" diameter, but the rod I started with was bigger, say 9/16", to allow for the radius. (I hope that makes sense. It's hard to describe without drawing a sketch!)

Can't see how the direction of turn would make any difference. Sounds a bit like the old left-handed screwdriver gag to me.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Lemming, I understand what you're saying about the internal radius.Using a 9/16 bolt might work better. I have mild steel,4140 and hard brass to work with for body material. Fred

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a vintage 16 roll crimper off e-bay and I'm loving it. A vintage crimper and paper shells just seem to go together.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 am  Reply with quote

What are you saying? I love my set of left handed screwdrivers hanging proudly next to my left handed monkey wrench. Very Happy On the BPI tools there is a roll pin set in the tool at an angle that does the work. It seems that tool direction forces the plastic in different directions with the given tool. The PR tools have 3 symetrically cut inlets within the groove that do the work, I like the PR tools better.

Lemming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:05 am  Reply with quote

[quote="putz463"] On the BPI tools there is a roll pin set in the tool at an angle that does the work. It seems that tool direction forces the plastic in different directions with the given tool. The PR tools have 3 symetrically cut inlets within the groove that do the work,

It's the geometry of those pins that's making me pull my hair out... I've studied them, but I can't seem to be able to duplicate them, for some reason.

The unit I made the other day doesn't have pins, and it more or less works
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:39 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Black&Tan"]I think running the tool CCW works best in the southern hemisphere..[/quote]

So B&T, just for clarification, to judge whether to run the tool in the correct direction we should look at which way the pigs' tail is curled first?

Black&Tan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Black&Tan wrote:
I think running the tool CCW works best in the southern hemisphere..

So B&T, just for clarification, to judge whether to run the tool in the correct direction we should look at which way the pigs' tail is curled first?

Very Happy Very Happy

I think Einstein had a theory is respect to this conundrum..