16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stock replacement
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

May need to replace the stock on a Merkel 47E. At the very least I will have to have it repaired. Mad

Any suggestions as to who you guys would use to put a new stock on a wonderful SxS? Actually I will most likely have to replace the forend to match a new stock also. Unless the stock can be repaired. Not sure I want to go that way though.

I've already contacted Conn Shotgun, Briley and Cap-N-Ball in Wy. I am awaiting answers from them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hey TJC:

I've not had any work done by them, but others I know have and they have been pleased.

Try WENIG in Missouri - I think their www.wenig.com but you can google wenig gun stocks and they will come up.

Dr. 16 Gauge
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
May need to replace the stock on a Merkel 47E. At the very least I will have to have it repaired. Mad

I don't mean to pry, but what happened to it?
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:38 am  Reply with quote

I wish I could tell ya. I was on a pheasant hunt at the Griffin and Howe farm last week. We finished up the morning part of the hunt and were going to take some pics. I picked up the gun and felt the crack.
The gun wasn't dropped, banged or abused in any way. I've used the gun all season without incident. I just don't know.
I am the second owner so I guess it's possible that the gun was dropped or something prior to me buying it in May last year and that it just gave way. Although there was no evidence of this such as dents in the stock, gouge in the metal etc.
The maker stated that they would not warranty it as I was the second owner and it was over a year old.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

TJC:
If the gun is under five years old, I would ask the American Merkel reps to at least assess why it broke. If it is determined to be a flaw in the wood, then perhaps they will restock it for you at cost. It can't hurt to ask. Don't take the first no as final. Seek out their top guy and ask him. Keep the ball at their end of the court. Don't be afraid to politely mention you belong to a national group of 16 ga. folks who will be wanting to know how well you are treated by Merkel, which of course, is exactly the truth. The key is to be polite, but persistant. They should at least be interested in why the wood failed, considering it shows no outward signs of abuse or careless handling. That is the responsible answer to your request. It helps them. It helps you. Let them know that as tactfully as you can. If they insist on blowing you off, let us know. Perhaps then we might be able to let Merkel know they aren't acting responsibly and we don't think much of their business practices. Public opinion has a lot of clout with business people. They hate bad press.

If Merkel will not help you, then have the wood upgraded. This will enhance the gun's desirability and value. At resale time, don't mention the stock failure. Just say you wanted better wood than was original.

Finally, if the broken stock can be fixed so the repair is both sound and not visable or at most not very noticable, then that can be the smart way to go. You can always have the gun restocked either now or later if you intend to sell. Keep the replacement stock for later and use the repaired one for hunting duties. Good luck and let us know how its going. Perhaps we can help. 16GG.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote

16gg,

Thanks for the support. I appreciate the info and suggestions.
The gun is about 6-7 yrs old based on the information I received from the man I purchased it from.
So far GSI/Merkel has stated that they would look at the wood but that most likely would not replace it due to the 2nd owner and age factors.

I reeived info on a company in Wy that does nothing but repair stocks. The Stockfixirs. They use epoxy and steel pins from the inside to repair damaged stocks. Their claim is that is will be stronger than before.
The good thing is I guess that the stock did not lose any wood through chipping etc when it cracked. It also mates up exactly and you can't even see the crack when pressed together.
I'm thinking along the lines you suggested. Have it repaired now for a lot less $$ and have it restocked with an upgraded quality of wood later. The most I'll be out for the repair will likely be a few hundred vs. $1500 for a new stock from the company.
My other option is to send it to GSI and let the gunsmith examine it and see if they will replace it. It seems like a really outside chance but maybe I'd get lucky.

I'll keep ya all posted.

Thanks.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:59 am  Reply with quote

good luck TJC. don't forget to mention us and the fact that up until now, Merkels have been held in high esteem by this group. Any company will usually think twice before blowing a well connected person off. Its why ATA shooters usually can get better service on their guns from a company than a nonaffiliated shooter. We talk to each other. A bad report will hurt company reputations and sales.

The stock fixers sound like they know what they are doing. Most good stock repairs use several well placed, but unobtrusive pins. also, most good repair jobs are done from the inside and can be very difficult to detect.

I have reattached several stock cheeks on O/U and SxS guns by placing pins well inletted across the fracture line and have been successful at mating the wood and filling it so it does not show once refinished to hide the break line. Most repairs will simply fade into the natural figure, shading, and grain of the wood. It just takes know how and patience. Judiciously applied epoxy will prevent the shrinkage cracks you can get later with hide glues and glues with a uric acid base like Urac 180. Zap a Gap super glue works well for filling small, fine cracks and some dings too.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Conn Shotgun got back to me today. They suggested a stockmaker here in NJ about 40 minutes away from me. I figure if they are recommending this guy he must be pretty good since they build $8000-10,000 repros etc. I would think that they would not suggest unless they felt confidant in the person.
I am going to pay the guy a visit to hear what he has to say.

I think it would be easier just to buy another Merkel. LOL

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Final Chapter:

The Merkel was dropped off to Griffin and Howe today for repair. Their head guy in the gunsmithing looked at it and said it wouldn't be a problem to repair. All work will be done on the inside, pins and epoxy and will not show on the outside.
Good thing was that I could drop it off as they are only 15 minutes away. No shipping and ins costs. Approx. cost for repair= $250. Time= 3 weeks or so. That's a lot less than the others I spoke to both $$ and time.

I figured with the quality of the guns they make etc they should do a pretty good job. We'll see. Pics will follow when done.

offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

TJC, thanks for keeping us all up to date on this! It is very good [though not for you!] to hear of the process you are going through.