16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Mec 9000G
slimpickens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I am purchasing a Mec 9000 and need to know what powder bushing I should order for most loads.

Slim
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

No matter what gauge{you are getting a 16-right?}will come with the three most common bushings for that gauge Wink
slimpickens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
No matter what gauge{you are getting a 16-right?}will come with the three most common bushings for that gauge Wink

I found the powder bushing needed for the 16ga on the Mec web site, in case anyone else needs the information , you should have bushings 25 through 31, for most powders we use.

Slim
mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Of the three you get with it, at least one will probably give you several loads that suit you and what your're trying to do.. Listen to hoashooter, he helped me through set up and adjustments of my new grabber and I am now reloading what I want without a lot of frustration. The instructions are sometimes vague so just be patient and don't even think you're going to load up a bunch of shells the first nite. It takes some tinkering to get everything set. get your primer feed working and seating right before you ever add powder or shot. (I learned that from Hshooter). Take it one step at a time and it will go smooth. good luck

bigric
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have found the MEC powder bushing chart to be a good "starting point" rather than a good reference. I find myself consistently having to go 2-4 bushings higher than they call for to get the right charge. So, I purchased bushings 18-38 and got a cheap beam scale from a buddy who upgraded to a fancy automated digital meter/scale and develop my own powder bushing chart as I go.

That's why you always read "verify your charges before using" in manuals--the bushing charts aren't that accurate. It's worth the money to get a cheap scale and know what you're really dropping.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Bigric is dead on the money here. All the companies make sure their powder bushings throw at least 3/4 grain or more under what the charts say they do. This is because each person manipulates the press differently, and each press is a law unto itself too. Powder drops will also vary a bit from lot to lot of the powders. Its also not unheard of to have a mismarked powder bushing.

An inexpensive beam or electronic scale is indispensable. Never start reloading a new recipe without carefully varifying the actual powder drop. As a rule of thumb, I've found that I must usually go two bushings up from what the MEC chart calls for. but I make sure I weigh at least 5 loads out of the first 20 or so to make sure. Then I log the info for future use. 16GG.