16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington SP versus Black hulls
Little Creek
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

I noticed here folks are loading Remington Black promotional hulls. What is the difference between the two? Where's the load data for the black hulls?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Any of the Remingtom hulls with a plastic base wad are interchangable. Ignore the color. The only differences can be either a 6 or 8 point crimp, and/or high or low brass. The internal capacity is the same. The high brass shells can be a bit more difficult to size at the first station. I always set my sizing collet to squeeze the head down to minimum on the first reloading. That seems to make them good to go for the subsequent reloadings.

If you've acquired a mixed lot of hulls just be careful to identify any of the old Remington shells with a fiber base wad and discard them. They are both too old to be safe, and they take the smaller *57 primer. Using the 209 size will destroy the base wad and render the hull unsafe. Don't use them.

Load data is the same for both the black and the green Remington hulls. Alliant, Hodgdon, and Lyman all list data for them. Use either Remington or Winchester 16 ga wads. The Gualaundi 16 ga. wads are too fat and bulge the Remington cases. You can substitute the Remington R16 or SP-16 with filler for the Winchester wad in any data but not the reverse. Remington 16 ga wads generate less pressure than the Winchester.

New lots of the Federal 20S1 will work as a substitute wad for 1 ounce and lighter loads. Some folks also use the Gualaundi 20 ga wad. Just make sure any 20 ga. wads you use have a .620" diameter average or bigger to insure proper wad obturation and gas seal. Don't use any under .615" Also, avoid using more than 7/8 oz of shot with the Gualaundi 20 ga wads except for close range shooting like skeet with #9 shot to avoid spotty or blown patterns. 16GG.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I usually load Federals. (Universal Clays, SG16, Win 209, and 1 ounce: 7400 psi.) The BP manual shows a similar load using the same components in a Remington SP hull, which is why I asked. I try to keep the components down to a miimum variety to prevent confusion.

I am looking for a 7/8 ounce 16 gauge load using either Fiocchi, Federal, or Remington hulls. Seems to me there are some loads on the reloaders spreadsheet that use either Unique or SR 7523 (?). I may also try some 2-1/2" loads...I have some Fiocchi 2-1/2 inch cases and 616 primers.

Not sure how to post images, otherwise I'd add one of a 16 gauge grouse gun, a great springer, and the birds!

Thanks again and have fun!
[/img]
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote

I use 16.5 grains of Green Dot and an R16 wad with one 28 ga. 1/8" thick card wad in the shot cup for 7/8 ounce loads in the Remington hull. The same charge and two card wads does for 3/4 oz. loads. I swap out the shot bars on my MEC grabber as needed. The die settings all remain the same. It couldn't be easier. Good luck with your loads. 16GG