16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wad Question for 16GG
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:41 am  Reply with quote

I think I remember you saying you load for 28 gauge.
I just bought a used sizemaster for 28 gauge, with it came a few 100 STS hulls. I have already bought a couple cases of the Win. AAHS shells, because I heard they are the best. MY question: is there a wad that will work well in both these hulls? Or will I have to use two different wads for these two hulls?

Thanks, Dave
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Dave, my experience with the new WW 28 ga hull is nada. I do know claybuster had to redesign their 28 ga. AA28 clone to work in the new WW 28 ga hull because the cupped base wad creates a step at its terminus that interferes with seating some of the existing wads so I'm told.I can't confirm this with personal knowledge.

I'd contact Claybuster directly. They have a 1-800 number and are very good about needed info. They should know better than anyone. Perhaps you can use the new claybuster version of the AA28HS wad in the STS hull. Let us know what you learn. Thanks, 16GG.

PS, what are you shooting in a 28ga.? Do you know of a 28 ga web site?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:15 am  Reply with quote

I've got a Parker Repro. 2 barrel set in 28 gauge. That I love shooting skeet with. And I just picked up a Sig-Rizzini TR30 o/u in 28. My son will mostly shoot the TR30, because it has a single trigger. I can't get him coverted to a two trigger gun. Wish I could, it might give me an edge. I can never seem to out shoot the kid. Laughing
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Dave
I have been reloading 28 ga for several years, and got caught up in the STS vs. AA-HS hull fiasco. I have had good luck using Remington PT-28 wads in both hulls, although you will need to adjust the crimping die a bit for each one.
Powder is also a minor problem. H- Universal is pretty bulky and just barely fits in the HS hull with the Remington wad, but it will work without excessive wad pressure. Some folks have been using Longshot with the HS hull since it is a bit more dense.
Hodgdon has more data for the AA-HS hull than anyone else I have seen. Some folks have found that the data for H-Universal, in the HS hull, with AA-HS wads won't work well because Winchester changed the hull design after Hodgdon worked up their data. But Universal works well with the Remington wad in the HS hull
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Thanks 71. The info is appreciated. Can you use the new WW wad for both too?

Dave, young eyes and reflexes are a tough combination to beat. But I think kids just naturally have more faith in their inate hand/eye coordination and never overthink a shot. They just let her rip, shrug of the misses, and try it again. Wingshooting is an act of faith. Kids find it easier to believe. Once I came to understand this simple truth, my shooting got a lot better. I learned it from teaching kids to shoot. I now incorporate the knowledge into teaching new shooters of any age and it really helps.

I just got a pair of Browning Ultra XS Sporters, a 28 and a .410 with 28" barrels. The wood on both is drop dead lovely. The fit, finish, and barrels are also flawless and true. These two were hand picked for me by a dealer friend who knows guns and my mind as well. He did himself proud as he always does. Its nice to have friends. 16GG.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

The new HS wad can be used in the HS hull, using published data, but the Remington hull only has data for the WAA28(old Winchester wad, or ClayBuster clone), the PC28, and theRemington PT-28. This according to the Hodgdon 2006 Annual Manual, which should be also available on their web site.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks again 71. I'm guessing that if it seats okay, the AA HS 28 wad will work for moderate pressure loads in the STS hull. Probably in the Federal, Estate, and the Fiocchi hulls too. Once they get around to it, the powder companies will test and publish the findings. It just takes time. At least the 28 ga has a higher pressure spec than the other gauges. I'm sure if that if a load is rated at 9K psi or under, it isn't going to blow up from swapping the wad.