16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SHOT Show
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
KyBrad: My new setter pup would be insulted if he wasn't busy pulling/digging up the drip irrigation system out of the yard while Gambel's quail stroll about un-pointed Confused

Ahh, that's a good one Doc. I am passing the time this winter waiting for a new Brittany pup from some old family friends in Mississippi, who I used to hunt with when I was in college down there. I have hunted over this pup's granddad (or is that great granddad?) Bo. I am anxious to see if this one will live up to old Bo, who was one fantastic bird dog.

Anyway, to make the time go faster I am reading someone from your neck of the woods, Jim Fergus. His book, A Hunter's Road is about his year on the road hunting all across America with his lab Sweetzer. A great read, and although I wouldn't necessarily call a lab an upland dog (although hunting with one of our fellow 16er's great yellow labs has really swung me around on this) the hunting and descriptions of the American country are wonderful. His descriptions of your Gambel's quail as being devilish (unlike the gentlemanly bob) on dogs makes me think if your setter might not have the right idea.

regards,

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote

As usual we've wandered way off topic from the SHOT show to brain-damaged bird dogs. Very interesting but strange dynamic when we moved out here from KC 9-04. Brought our 9 y/o male setter who was a great quail dog but never quite got the hang of those dirty running pheasants. He absolutely refused to point the Gambel's quail that live on the golf course and run around people's yards. We'd go jogging and he would actually look away from a Gambel's walking in front of him. Anybody else out there had the same experience? When we went back to KS and MO, he was his old self with the Gentleman Bob.
Sadly, he (and now all four of my english setters before age 11) developed Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (doggie Alzheimer's-I know, how can you tell with a setter?!?) He totally lost it after our Nov trip to KS and S. Dakota and I put him down Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't sure I was man enough to risk the pain again, but my wife and I were so lonely without a setter in the house we got an 8 wk. male from Clair Kofoed (Shooting Sportsman guy) mid-Feb.
BTW: agree with everything you've said in the Guns forum about the Ithaca's. For some reason, I've never shot anything better (including some high quality O/U's and auto's) than a M-37 and M-12.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:

Sadly, he (and now all four of my english setters before age 11) developed Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (doggie Alzheimer's-I know, how can you tell with a setter?!?) He totally lost it after our Nov trip to KS and S. Dakota and I put him down Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't sure I was man enough to risk the pain again, but my wife and I were so lonely without a setter in the house we got an 8 wk. male from Clair Kofoed (Shooting Sportsman guy) mid-Feb.
BTW: agree with everything you've said in the Guns forum about the Ithaca's. For some reason, I've never shot anything better (including some high quality O/U's and auto's) than a M-37 and M-12.

Wow, sorry to hear about your Dogs. Is CCDS genetic like Alzheimers? Anyway, its always tough to lose a dog. I lost my last one quite a few years ago before my son was born to being hit by a car. I cried when I found him. However, I am really looking forward to the new pup.

Glad to be of some contribution. I really don't know doubles very well (heck, at all) but I do have alot of familiarity with great auto's, pumps and post-war guns like Browning A5's or Winchester M-12's, or Remington Model 59's, but I love the old Ithaca Model 37 16. I certainly hope that Ithaca survives. They are too much a part of Americana to lose them now. I mean gee, how many companies can boast of TR, Annie Oakley and a world renowned composer all being fans?

Just sitting here watching it snow before going to bed. Have a good weekend.

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Brad. I'm a MD, not a vet, but much of what happens to us and our dogs is a combination of genetic predisposition + some inciting factor (environmental, infectious, toxins, etc) Anyway-3 of my dogs were not related and lived a pretty cushy dog-life. Our vet said CCDS is not particularly common in setters-my problem with dog training has always been not being quite as smart as the dog! Not trying to disturb anybody but had to put down all 4 either right before or after an international mission trip and maybe it was the price I had to pay.
Agree again about Ithaca and the Model 37.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:17 am  Reply with quote

brdhnt wrote:

I did the review of the Gold Label for Shotgun Sports and my editor made it the cover piece, so I have a very good relationship with Ruger right now and since their Gold Label weighed in at 6 pounds five ounces on the one I tested in 12 gauge if they make one in 16, it should be right around 6 pounds. They are supposed to have a 20 gauge at the SHOT show. I will talk to them about a 16 an report back.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but...... I recently asked a good friend, who was intimately involved in getting the Gold Label into production, what it would take to get a 16 ga version.

His reply: unless you just want to reduce the bore, increase the OD taper, and leave the breech diameter alone (which would result in a gun heavier than the 12), it would mean gauge specific parts - and castings - for the following; receiver, but not the tang
monoblock
ejectors
top rib and possibly bottom rib
barrel spacer
fore end head
fore end wood
barrels (which are not cast but hammer forged)
chokes

Since the cost of investment cast parts is heavily weighted in the molds which produce the wax patterns, this would require a major investment.
And the management at Ruger is just too conservative to put that kind of money into anything that ain't a sure thing.

Much as I'd love to see a 16 Gold Label, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Pete
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:27 am  Reply with quote

OK now I'm really depressed Crying or Very sad Wanted to buy American but guess it'll have to be a 16g. Beretta SxS.