16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  16 Gauge Ammo--Double 0 Buck
ThorOdinson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

Have Win 1897 used as riot gun by SO. I can't find much of any ammo for anything (Obamanomics) but 16 is really scarce. Are there any full brass shells for 16's. Maybe I'll have to add shotgun shells to my reloading process. Used for home defense but if a longer barrel could be had maybe I could switch it out for hunting. Thor
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:34 am  Reply with quote

For home defense, you can still get Federal and Winchester #1 buck, although it is increasingly difficult to find. Natchez has both in stock, plus some other High brass shot loads. See: http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=3&searchBy=size&ammoSize=185&startRow=1

Reloading your own is a better option IMO.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:18 am  Reply with quote

Hey TB, take a look over on Auction Arms auction # 9062718

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9062718

Seems like it's what you're looking for. Does that 1897 have less than a 2 3/4" chamber?

Would this inquiry have more legs over in the "Amunition & Reloading" area?

Then take a look at;

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9058300

Also, look around on AA there several barrels available.

Good luck, Mike

ThorOdinson
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. As a brand spranking new dude to these forums (I guess there must be more than one) I didn't know about posting elsewhere. How do I get to reloading (because I do).
I see references to no lead shot (I just have hunted humans ) for game. What is used for birds? Hint--Years ago a few not so bad kids in NE asked me to go pheasant hunting with them (Their relatives farmed the land--not National Forest like CO so access limited)
Then I was muzzleloading for elk in CO and a Blue Grouse landed in front of me. I clipped its head off with a .50 Cal Hawkin and ate it.
Then the SO (Sheriffs Office) decided to up grade its 1897's to 12 guage 870 Wingmasters (still short barrel and long mag tube) so I bought the old gun and liked it.
Cop guns (especially shotguns) get carried around alot but rarely shot. Of course I haven't bird hunted a lot so unless I find a barrel with less scatter I probably have no worries. Just no 16 guage on anybody's shelf.
Heard there was some double made in first half of the 1900's that was a well made but I don't know if Winchester made it.
Guy did take me out goose hunting with a borrowed 12 ga something but we never hit anything. Thor
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Just a suggestion. If you intend to defend the home at close range like inside, simply use a standard load of #4 or #5 bird shot. Don't overlook the fact you are slamming the target with an ounce or more of shot. The energy on target is substantial. Pellets do not hit one at a time. They hit like a lead fist. At close range, any hit will be disabling. Any hit in the head or trunk will be fatal. Big bird shot like #4 will hollow out a human chest cavity like a pumpkin. It creates a rathole wound about 8 inches deep or more and at least 4 inches around. No invader will survive a hit like that.

The good thing is bird shot usually will not penetrate interior walls much, so colateral wounds and fatalities will be limited. It is also easier to find. It is also easier to explain to the investigation team as well. yYu shot the perp with what you had on hand without any forethought of malice. It can be more difficult to justify buckshot or slugs. these two loads are designed to kill, not to just defend. The average prosecutor would not pick up so quickly on birdshot in the same way.

I got most of the insight from a friend who is a law enforcement professional and who is also has been part of many an investigation team. I'd say the source is a good one. I follow it and sleep very well at night. good luck.
ThorOdinson
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Not bad advice under several state laws. As it so happens in CO we have what is commonly referred to as the "Make My Day Law" (Good old Harry Calahan). All of the info regarding having "something on hand" doesn't apply here. Buckshot, slugs, .44 mags, cannon balls, sabres or boiling water makes no difference.
After 30 years in law enforcement, 2 states and PI work after three college degrees (Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Corrections) I like the idea of 00 Buck.
Of course, I carried a 9mm until I determined that a charging guy on meth with a dangerous weapon was more safely handled with a .45 or 10mm.
Have seen the wounds with birdshot you mentioned--dead is dead.
Never was in IA on a shooting investigation.

How do you get the 16ga. logo on your posts? Question

Just in case you want to see what CO law has, and you aren't sleepy----

18-1-704.5. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(1) The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

[b][i]I might throw in here that "belief" is pretty broad. Once entry is made (it can be stepping into an open garage door--that is a felony) The slight physical force that might be used can be the belief that the intruder will harm a sleeping baby by opening a bedroom door, or merely brushing a 3 year old aside after entry is made--no injury.[/i][/b]

(3) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.

[i][b]No criminal prosecution[/b][/i]

(4) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

[i][b]No civil liability either[/b][/i]
Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you get the 16ga. logo on your posts?

http://www.16ga.com/joinus.html

It helps support the forum and you get a cool shell bag.