16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Which MEC?
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:36 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
You will easily spend over two hours doing it on a single stage.

I can load 100 rounds on a Sizemaster in an hour. Nor am I rushing but only working at a steady pace. For the volume of shooting indicated by the OP a single stage press will work fine.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Please understand, my post was not meant to start a contest or argument over who can load the fastest or has the most stamina. Perhaps I should have written "could easily spend two hours". I takes me about that long to carefully assemble 100 rounds on a single stage.

I guess I'm slower than some folks. No problem. I normally use a progressive. With enough sleep and some coffee in me, I can easily load 100 rounds in 30 minutes or less on my Grabber if time is short and I'm in a hurry to make shooting time at the club.... and get there before the donuts are all gone. Wink I usually do not rush. 35 to 45 minutes is normal for me. I like to sip a soft drink was I go and occasionally stop to ponder the important questions about our universe as I load. Hey, I'm casual. Laughing

My point is a simple one. Anyone can do the same amount of work on a progessive press with far fewer moves and with less time and energy expended. Fewer moves also means fewer potential false moves or mistakes.

The Grabber will also ultimately produce at least as good a reloaded round as well. It crimps and tapers the hull in two steps which usually produces a better formed, easier feeding shell with less effort. That is all. Carry on gentlemen.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Very rarely do I agree 100% with 16GG but this is one situation where if you going to pick up a reloader (after past experiences); that a progressive reloader makes more sense. After the initial cost of a Grabber versus a Sizemaster is factored in, you will find out that you're never in a situation where you don't have enough rounds to go shooting the next day. I would have to burn the midnight oil of the evening before I went shooting when I would only had a single stage. With a progressive reloader, I can build up my inventory of ammo so I can go shooting on a moment’s notice. Gene Hill's commented that shooting a flat of ammo can certainly take care of any future shooting problems can definitely apply here.

Shoot frequently...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Sorry about that Terry, I did not mean for you to warp your self- image by actually agreeing with me. I do trust it was not too painful Laughing.
GP16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I am convinced to spend a little more and go with a progressive. Reloading for me will add much more to the whole experience. I traded a lot this winter and ended up with all 16's and really don't have much interest in reloading anything else... maybe a 28 but that is on the backburner for now. The availability of bismuth is a let down. It is too bad, it really worked well when I used it. I really liked it. I used it on ducks through a Model 12 Duck and it knocked them dead. Really enjoyed using that old gun with bismuth. Thanks again guys!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Anytime GP. Good luck. If you have any problems setting it up, feel free to ask. Most all I load on now are Grabbers. Have done so for over 25 years. Even a slow learner like me picks up some knowlwedge in 2.5 decades. Laughing
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Don't get too bummed re. the availability of Bismuth. There will be alternative (besides steel and hevi) non-tox pellets available for reloading. I have used this BB constantly when someone will post the availability of either pellet or non-tox loads at a "decent" price. Other than steel, most non-tox will cost over a dollar a round, so I don't use it for high volume shooting like pass shooting waterfowl. I still shoot my 12 gauge with high velocity steel for that application. But going after decoying ducks or most upland game where you shoot a lot fewer rounds, shooting non-tox won't send you to the poor house. You just can't beat lead... I know you'll be happy with your reloader and if you have any questions, either the guys on this BB are good with the troubleshooting and the MEC techs are above board on giving top level support. When you first start out with a progressive, they'll be a few accidents so I would recommend having a handheld vacuum cleaner nearby and an old toothbrush to get your mistake out of the nooks and crannies. Make sure you screw in a 1/4" barrier (I used half doweling) to frame the top of your reloading table so that the shot pellets don't roll off and you can collect them.
Good luck...
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

16GG,

I can easily load 100 shells per hour on my Sizemaster. Once set up, 3 shells per minute is a cinch. I have timed myself a couple times and 4/minute is tops.

Progressive machines are great for two kinds of reloaders. The ones who shoot a very high volume of shells and those who really don't like reloading. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Squareload,

I agree with you.

Not sure why a fellow would need a progressive to load 1,000 rounds a year. What are you going to do with the other 364 days and 22 1/2 hours?

For what this fellow wants to do, the Sizemaster is fine. But he is wasting his money if he buys a progressive.

I have no problem getting 150 - 180 hulls per hour out of my Sizemasters. With my progressives you can easily triple those numbers, especially on the hydraulics.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

GP,

Before you rush out and purchase a progressive you have one more thing to consider, cost of the machine and how long a time period you choose to amortize the cost. Myself, I use three years as a rule of thumb. You can of course work with any pay back period you wish. I feel the time frame of 3 years is a good indicator as to whether a buy is cost effective.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=108

If you reload 3K rounds in 3 years a Sizemaster will add $1.81 to the cost of 25 shells. A Grabber will add $3.50 to the cost of a box of shells. Now factor in the cost of shot, wads, primers, and powder to see if the Grabber will save you any money.

I'm just throwing all this out there to give you something else to chew on.

You can of course buy used equipment but some of the e-bay prices I've seen lately are almost the cost of a new machine.

Whatever you decide welcome to the fun world of shotshell reloading.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

One thing about this BB is we can disagree about anything in a friendly manner...

If you're going to use Accounting 1A calculations, then don't forget what your hourly rate of activity (work) will cost you. With a Progressive, everytime I pull the handle, I have a finished shell. With a single stage, it take six pulls of the handle to get one finished round.

As someone posted earlier, I'm in the group that needs the ammo and want to get it done as quickly as possible. That gives me more time to get on this site to discuss how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...
GP16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

I was going back through this.. it's been a long week. I meant to say I am going with a single stage not the progressive. Sorry, was zoned out working on other things earlier and trying to get through the day! I really don't need high volume for what I do during a year. Anyway thanks for all the input. Lots of knowledge here and that is why I like this site. I would much rather spend time here than read just about any news that is going on anymore. Have a good weekend guys!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

GP, whatever you buy, I hope you enjoy yourself. That is what counts. As you can see, some of us enjoy batting stuff around and arguing with each other.

Don't let the happy horse hockie bother you too much. It simply comes with the territory. Laughing Think of us as a typical gun club only we are in cyberspace. You'd see the same thing at any local club. I'm beginning to realize gun folks and BS go hand in hand no matter where you find them. Laughing
GP16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks 16GAUGEGUY! I am just glad I found this site before more time slipped away. The 'bs' here is pretty easy to take compared to the rest of what goes on in the world these days! Long live the 16!
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

OH BOY, you can't let this guy know you either agree with him or like him because the next time his novel length reply will turn into a trilogy.