16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  R-16 NEW WAD ORDER.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Chris at recob called me this morning he is placing another R-16 order.
His # is 800-359-4571 if you want some.
Flytier
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Yep, Chris called me too. I even doubled my original order. I have been shooting skeet with the sixteen. Boy can you burn thru shells at that game.

flytier
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

Have you seen what these are bringing on ebay-- Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
bigric
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:47 am  Reply with quote

I spoke with Pam this morning. She said to have my order in today or, at the latest, Monday. Looks like I need to come up with $140 fast.

Or find somebody on here that wants to split a case with me Very Happy Anybody?
curveman
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 am  Reply with quote

bigric - What are we talking about here ? Case of how many ? I am interested, but I'm far far away...
bigric
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

A case is 5,000 wads. I'm just going to go for it and get a whole one. I'm sure a few people (myself included) will part with a few bags here and there after the order comes in.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Once you guys discover how much fun light target loads are in the 16, you will be burning these wads up. If you can, order twice what you think you will need. Trust me, you will discover you should have ordered three times that many. Once you understand this, you won't be selling many I'll bet. 16GG.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 am  Reply with quote

I don't use R-16 that much because I don't have many good loads for them.But I figued since they aren't available any more why not have them here if I need them. I wish I could find more data using them.
bigric
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
I don't use R-16 that much because I don't have many good loads for them.But I figued since they aren't available any more why not have them here if I need them. I wish I could find more data using them.

Are you a member of the low-pressure group? If not, shoot a PM to RWG and you'll find plenty of recipies using them. Also, search around on here. Some of my preferred recipies were public posts on this forum..
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

I AM A MEMBER OF THE LOADING GROUP I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING MANY. I'LL LOOK AGAIN.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

PP, The R16 wad predates the Winchester AA16 wad by a couple of decades. It and the SP-16 were the accepted plastic wads for use in all 16 ga hulls including the WW16AA hull for many years before Winchester came out with the WW16AA wad.

You can safely swap an R16 in any 1 and 1-18 oz load recipe that calls for the Winchester wad you can find. The R16 generates slightly less pressure with any load. Therefore, it is entirely safe. In some lower pressure loads under 9000 psi, adding a 1/2 to a full grain of the designated powder will reestablish the FPS without generating too much pressure.

The R16 also will load 7/8 and 3/4 oz loads easier too. Just use the 1/8" thick 28. ga. card wad trick in the shot cup and 16.5 grains of Green dot for either. Any standard fairly mild primer will work. I've shot thousands of these loads without a hiccup. They crush clay targets.

Believe me, if the R16 wasn't such a useful and adaptable wad, I'd have never campaigned so long and hard to get them in bulk again. 16GG.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice I have a lot of good loads calling for the AA wad. How much velocity does the R-16 drop compared to the AA.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Not enough to worry about for most recreatonal and small bird, close range shooting. With the heavier loads, a chronograph can help or just use penetration comparisons with thoroughly soaked phone books.

Most powders will give you a fairly wide range of 2 to 4 grains from low to high pressure and velocity with known componants. Just compare the original pressure vs. velocity. This will give you a guideline of where to start. If he pressure is well below max, then you can substitute the R16, go with the original powder and amount, and go up from there carefully. Any max loads should be considered just that and not modified with powder increases. At least you will know you are safe substituting the R16 even with these loads.

In most cases, 1/2 to 1 grain of powder will restore the lost velocity without any dangerous pressures. The exact amount will increase with the slower powders. Usually 1/2 grain or slightly more of Green dot will do the job safely 1/2 to to a grain of Unique or Herco will suffice. a full grain to two of Bluedot will work. Just go in 1/2 grain or smaller incriments and use a modern, strong gun. 16GG.
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

I really fail to understand the interest in the R16 considering the way it is priced. At $140 per case, you can buy 10,000 wads that are better suited to the majority of straight walled cases available for reloading. The R16 might be OK for old Win CF cases, but not the newer ones. R16 is OK for Rem blacks. but no better than sp16 with a little filler for light loads for less $$. Same idea works in old CF cases as well. If you are out of the Blue Win wads and 540 powder, you are probably not going to be able to duplicate that great CF 1oz load. Time to move on.

bigric
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:22 pm  Reply with quote

The SP16 wads cost me about $7 a bag down here, so it works out about the same price as the R16s. I got tired of stuffing nitro cards into SP16s.