16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Enlish vs Prince of Wales grip
Bronco
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Yesterday I took both my 16ga doubles to the skeet range, a Chas Smith & Sons box lock and a Husky M48 back action hammer gun. With the English gun, my trigger finger just slips back naturally for the second bbl. With the Husky and the semi pistol grip, it takes a more conscious effort to find the back trigger. The straight stock just makes it easier to move around. Has anyone else noticed this?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to be educated on this subject as well. Contemplating my first sxs and had always heard that the straight grip was to facilitate double triggers, but then I see so many sxs with the pistol grip.

What's the thinking there?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Depends on the grip profile, your hand size, finger size, quite a few factors. Some POW grips, or round knobs or semi-pistol, whichever you prefer, have very little angle to them. Especially true of quite a few French and some Belgian guns--hardly a PG at all. Others are more like a conventional PG with the end rounded off. I've used all of them over the years, and although I prefer the straight grip, can't say that I've had problems going from one trigger to the next with a PG either.

For me, a much more significant issue is the spacing between the two triggers. Some DT guns are made with so little space that you can scarcely get a bare finger between them, let alone a gloved one. Triggers can be bent some, but that's something I always look at when considering the purchase of a DT gun.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

I find I have a hard time shooting a straight grip, but then I learned on
belgian superposed, so that may be behind it.

Once you become accustomed to the POW grip, it's like falling off a log, even with 2 triggers. I also tend to agree with Hanus that the POW grip combines with the little finger to help prevent canting the gun. At least for me.

Pete