16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  20 ga. wads
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 am  Reply with quote

16GG: By cutting the hulls back to 2.5in, you eliminate the really thin area of the mouth of the hull. I have reloaded some 4 times now.

You may be able to shed some light on the pressure of these loads. With an ounce of shot and the WAA16 wads, 16.5gr of Green Dot in the RGL, the pressure is 10,700. Wouldn't think the 20ga wads and 7/8 oz of shot would be more. Guess I need to send some to Tom for testing. Does anyone have his address?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Tom Armbrust
Ballistic Research
1108 W. May Avenue
McHenry, IL 60050-8918

Phone# 815-385-0037
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Thanks TB. I will give him a call this evening. This load turns out so nice. Just hope I have not been subjecting grandad's old M12 to 13K psi loads Shocked
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
Thanks TB. I will give him a call this evening. This load turns out so nice. Just hope I have not been subjecting grandad's old M12 to 13K psi loads Shocked

I suspect with 16.5 grains or green dot and 7/8th ounces of shot you will be at 9200 psi or less but it is better to have Tom run the pressure tests to be sure. Are you using a folded crimp or a roll crimp?
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

TB: Six point folded crimp. The Low Pressure forum had a sweet load using Fiocchi/Cheddite hulls with Gulandi 1621's at about 7200psi. Tom tested this load. I just hate waiting half a year for Graff and Sons to restock the wads and hulls.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I've never loaded any GD in a 2.5 inch hull, so I'm clueless here. However, about a year or so ago, one of our members was kind enough to have my pet full length RGL/ R16/GD load recipes tested. Velocities were at or around 1200 FPS and pressures were about 9.2-9.3K PSI. Velocities were also very consistantly uniform across the board as well.

I realize some folks might be getting tired of me strumping my same old same old, but I tend to stick with what has worked very well for me until I learn of something better. As yet, I've just not found or heard of any other powder to top GD for 7/8 and 3/4 ounce loads in an RGL hull. If it works for my this well, it will also work for anyone.

I'm also certain Hodgdon International Clays will be another fine powder for the same use. It is a near twin for GD. The biggest difference between the two powders is that IC throws slightly lighter volume for volume. I think if you use the same bushings as the ones proven suitable for GD, you will be on very firm and safe ground. The latest Hodgdon data released by the folks at Down Range has bolstered my hunch.

I would suggest reducing powder charges a 1/2 grain across the board in a 2.5 inch hull loaded in combination with the new Claybuster wad. I'd also be careful about using GD or IC when stuffing in a full 1 ounce of lead too. I think Unique, Herco, or Universal Clays would be wiser choices.

Anyway, thats the best I can tell you for now. Hope it helps.
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Spoke with Tom yesterday and the 7/8oz GD loads are going out tomorrow for testing.
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 am  Reply with quote

For those of you that have had Tom test loads, what sort of time are we talking about for the return data?
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
For those of you that have had Tom test loads, what sort of time are we talking about for the return data?

Think in the 6 to 8 week time frame. The last batch of loads I had tested took about 6 weeks. Sometimes you do a little better, and sometimes a little worse. It depends on Tom's backlog and weather conditions.

I had some loads tested with Precision Reloading, and they had a similar turn around time. I hope that helps.
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Thanks BB.
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Received the results from Tom yesterday. So much for low pressure Shocked
Avg pressure of 10,400psi
Avg velocity of 1258fps
Won't be using these in the old doubles. They load and crimp so nicely, I will continue to use them in the M12s. Bob
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
Received the results from Tom yesterday. So much for low pressure Shocked
Avg pressure of 10,400psi
Avg velocity of 1258fps
Won't be using these in the old doubles. They load and crimp so nicely, I will continue to use them in the M12s. Bob

I had a hunch your results would be right around what the testing showed. This is based on the results of my previously mentioned loads and some prior experience. You might try cutting the GD charges back a bit. Unique would be better for the one ounce loads. I think you will be happier with the results. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:45 am  Reply with quote

I will drop down to 15.5gr of GreenDot and try them in the doubles. My guess is that this load will break the clays just the same as using 16gr. Bob
spr310
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Bronco wrote:
TB: Six point folded crimp. The Low Pressure forum had a sweet load using Fiocchi/Cheddite hulls with Gulandi 1621's at about 7200psi. Tom tested this load. I just hate waiting half a year for Graff and Sons to restock the wads and hulls.

Bronco. A couple of questions. On the hulls, you say Fiochi/Cheddite hulls. I didn't know these were the same hull? They have different basewads. Also BPI's 1oz 16 gauge wad is the gualandi 1oz I know grafs sells the cheddite hull, but all the loads I have are different for the Fiochi or Cheddite.
Everybody seems to be mixing components and sending them in to get tested and then getting unexpected results. I can see then why they should be sent in. I'm just doing some wondering out here? Confused Confused Confused