16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Ballistic Products and Reloading for Shotgunners Book
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote

You may remember my post of a couple of weeks ago when I stated what a ripoff the Reloading for Shotgunners 5th Edition book was. Well, I was so steamed that I sent an e-mail to Kurt Fackler of Ballistic Products asking him why he wrote the forward to a book that was such an obvious ripoff. I felt that since I had made the occasional purchase from BP that I would let them know how I felt. To my surprise I received a reply yesterday in which Fackler said he had been asked to write the forward and agreed without really thinking about it. He also sent a signed copy of Advantages IV along with the note. My experience with most companies is that you are lucky to get a reply, much less any acknowledgement that they may have been wrong. Mr. Fackler and BP have just earned a lot of respect from this shooter.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have purchased several times from BP and agree that their customer service is number 1. I have had a few times when what was advertised was different than what was delivered. When told of this situation, the BP staff was right on top of it correcting the situation that was agreeable to both of us. Too bad alot of companies don't take a lesson from BP on retaining customers. I may pay a few more cents on some items but I rather get quality service than trying to fight with the customer service department.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

That seems foolish to endorse a book or product and not be sure of the end result----Kinda like handing a roofer a blank check Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed He should have reviewed the book---then-----and only then wrote the preface.
blrgene
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to visit BP personally last summer while on a business trip to Minnesota. The folks we talked to bent over backwards to help out and were very knowledgeable besides. Great business to deal with.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:16 am  Reply with quote

FYI, I'm still waiting on a reply from Krause. I sent them a list of all the obsolete components in the book and asked why they published a data manual using components that have not been available in years. I doubt I will ever hear from them which I consider par for the course these days and was shocked at the response I received from BP.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps the handbook is not a total loss. If it lists the powder, the charge weight, the shot weight, the hull,the wad, the generated pressure, etc, careful reviewing and cross referencing against what is available today can give you some valuable insight into what powders are most suitable for loading what you want and can indicate a safe starting point. Then common sense and careful load development will get you what you want.

I have learned to constantly refer back to my small library of old data. One of the most useful pieces of knowledge I've learned is that the R16 and Sp-16 wads can be used in lieu of the WW16AA wad right across the board, because the Remington wads generate less pressure with any given powder charge. I've also identified that over the range of shot weights I commonly shoot in my 16 ga. guns, Green Dot, Unique, Herco, and Blue Dot cover the whole spectrum nicely from 3/4 oz skeet loads to 1-1/4 oz. magnums.

Careful comparison of pressures generated in different hulls with similar powder charges will point out those hulls that can probably be swapped without a problem. Fiocchi, Cheddite, and the new Winchester polyformed hulls all are nearly identical and perform as such. Federals can also safely be used in most of the moderate loads without any hazards.

Starting with a suitable powder and a charge that is well below max and manipulating the charge up in a careful and orderly manner, like 1/2 grain at a time will allow you to safely experiment and develop some very useful loads. Careful cross referencing will also give you a solid idea of how far up to go, before you get into an unsafe level. Patterning will tell you where the sweet spot or where pressure and good patterning come together.

Searching out and devekloping good loads for the 16 will always be a challange. Its been this way for over 30 years and will most likely remain so. No accurate data is useless, even old data. Its a simple matter of cross referencing and comparing. Since you most likely will not be getting a refund, why not make the most of the information the book does provide. Good luck. 16GG.