16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  quail supper
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

The German influence explains how Mexico could produce a beer as good as Dos Equis XX. It is a medium dark but very smooth beer to drink. It doesn't have any of the bitterness of English or Irish dark beers. Like any other, you have to find it fresh and well stored. It is a good beer to drink with food. I'm guessing it is pretty popular in Texas.

I used to buy it from a small, independent. family owned Taco stand on South 441 in Orlando. Two of their beef and bean gordito burritos smothered in cheese with home made picante sauce and soured cream and a couple of Dos Equis would stand you for a good while. Beat all hell out of Taco Bell, and even Casa Guyardo.

Of couse, it isn't hard to beat most Irish cooking. My "off the boat" relatives simply consecrate their food by boiling the hell out of it, no matter what it is and serving it with bread. Seasoning means another shake or two of salt. The English must have learned to cook from the Irish...but not very well, because even their bread sucks. By the time you struggle through a plate of that stuff, any beer would taste good--even warm Guiness extra dark. Wink

IS it true Corona is TexMex for "straight from a donkey's kidneys"?

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mod11rem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I seem to have opened the flood gates of nostalgia here. To 16gg, I was involved in the tail end of the net fishing issue in TX and was there to see it done. You're right we saved inland fishing. I was also co-founder of a DU chapter in Weslaco Tx in about 1986 and it's still going. Rather than the stag thing with the Cowboy cheerleaders, we made ours a couples banquet and a real dress up affair. It's still a fancy nite out for gentlemen and ladies in the Weslaco area and makes a good contribution to DU every year.

All this conversation about beer makes me somewhat philosophical. I came to a stark realization the other day that I have finally become almost totally self sufficient in life. I make my own beer, can make wonderful homeade bread, and as of recently, reload my own 16 guage shells. What more does a fellow need to get along in the world? You guys are making me want to move back to S. TX. later mod11rem

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

Yup. The inshore netting ban is one of the things I'm most happy I helped with. We got her done there my friend. However, there was a lot of retribution by the netters for a while until the sports folks began striking back. More than one recreation boat got rammed or "waked". Some shots even got swapped. It got real nasty until a number of well known commercial boats mysteriously burned to the waterline. Things quieted down real quick after that.

Now, a number of same folks who were raping the fisheries all claim to be part of the folks that saved it. but at least they see the wisdom of it. Now, if we can get Uncle Teddy to stop backing the overly aggressive commercial fishing interests up in the Northeast, we will have won the battle...for a while.
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Nacogdoches, Tex. was my home and, yes Pearl is still available (and yes GG, Bud gives me a headache too; sometimes when I drink it, it even gives my friends headaches).
Now in Louisiana, I'm pretty sure there is no better food on the planet, but I must say the menu Mod 11 posted looks wonderful. I'll bet a substitution of Grey partridge for the quail would be acceptable as well.
It is a shame that we are all so widely scattered around the country, sharing a glass of port and a cigar after Mod 11's dinner with men of like minds and similar passions would be as good as it gets.

Now where did I put those quail?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Amen to that!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

16GG: Corona (crown) come from a contraction of corta (short) copa (drink) de orina (bet you can guess this one) but I'd still enjoy sharing a VERY cold one with you fellas sometime. OK EVERYBODY- THAT WAS A JOKE ALSO.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:02 am  Reply with quote

HuH... you'll have to type slower. Wink
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

16GG: Ohhhhh.....reeeen.......uh........
It's the color of guys who shoot quail with a 12g. and these little face thingys Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:46 am  Reply with quote

OHHHHHH YEAAAHHH! I GGGGOTTT ITTTT! I guess I was born with a slow modem. Sad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

16GG: That's OK brother-I'm just thrilled when my modem is movin' at all! Rolling Eyes
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody have a good pheasant recipe? I've got one left in the freezer from late last season. Something on the grill would be great!

Matt
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Not very exotic but easy and great eating. Use any generic Teriyaki-type
sauce and marinade chunks of breast meat, pineapple, onion and red and green peppers. Skewer and kabob on the grill with some mesquite chips and serve over rice. Great with a full flavored dark beer.