16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Newbie loader question
Tail Buster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm considering whether I want to start loading or not. That's not the question though.

The question is if I were to pick up say a MEC grabber loader off ebay for instance set up for a 12 gauge (thereby saving $) is it easy to pick up the dies etc needed to convert to a 16 (is that even possible) or is it better to just to get something already set up for 16 ga.

all the best,
john

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Most shotshell reloaders have a separate press for each gage and don't bother with purchasing the die sets to convert their presses. I only reload using the MEC sizemaster so I can't comment on how hard it is to switch die sets on the Grabber.

Now a word of warning about buying off Ebay. If you are not yet a reloader you may want a reloading buddy to view any listing that you are thinking about bidding on. Be warned that it is not at all uncommon to see presses listed that if you replaced all the missing pieces you would be just as well off buying new! Also, most Ebay sellers won't list any problems or issues with the product they are selling. They will if you ask but if you don't ask the right question they won't tell you! Also, don't get carried away and bid 80% of the price of a new machine. I see this way to often on Ebay. If you hang in there you will eventually get the item for 50-60% of the price of a new one. For a new reloader a new Sizemaster may be the way to start but that's up to you.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

BTW, I just looked and it appears MEC only offers die sets for single stage loaders like my Sizemaster. It doesn't appear dies sets are offered for prog presses like the Grabber.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

TBuster-the reason for not switching dies on the progressives is the shellplate.This is a simple matter on a single stage but a little more difficult on a pogressive. On some newer models this not possible.The dies are the same.I would recommend a MEC sizemaster to start with.Down the road you can move to a Grabber or 9000.The 9000 flat loads shells-trust me.But it is best to learn the ropes plus you will also have a single stage loader to experiment with,load field loads,etc.
hangfirew8
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Tail Buster wrote:
The question is if I were to pick up say a MEC grabber loader off ebay for instance set up for a 12 gauge (thereby saving $) is it easy to pick up the dies etc needed to convert to a 16 (is that even possible) or is it better to just to get something already set up for 16 ga.

Good advice on eBay. Also- always pay through Credit Card via Paypal, because you can yank back your payment through your CC and bypass Paypal's 4 month problem resolution process. If you have a Paypal account notice how it ALWAYS tries to funnel you to your Checking Account, if you have one- that's why.

I've noticed that most shotshell presses on eBay are from Estate sales, sold by people who have NO clue what is involved in reloading. Almost all of them are missing the sizer ring (usually a loose piece), unless it's NIB or the previous owner had the ring tied to the press right before he kicked off. Ditto powder and shot bushings. They might be sitting in the box next to the press in the auction but the bidders will have no clue they go together.

I also agree switch-overs are painful and if your time is precious, you could have reloaded several boxes by the time you switch over and then it's time to go to bed. Sad

My approach- a nice progressive for the most-reloaded gauge, and single stages or semi-progressives for the rest. If you reload lots and lots of more than one gauge, great for you to have all that time to go shooting, it's time to buy more than one progressive.

The single stage jobbies are also nice for doing buckshot, slug, steel, etc., which may be possible but are difficult in the progressives, which are more oriented towards trap/skeep/SC shooter's loads.

HF