16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lee loader data
megafatcat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

I am new to shotgun reloading, an old hand at metallic. I will be using an old but servicable texan press. The question is about the load data that I found included in an old Lee hand load set. 7/8 oz shot, plastic over powder wad and 16.5 grains red dot. 2 3/4" shells. No other specifications. Can I safely use this ina federal or rem hull and a regular shot cup? The chart also says I can reduce the powder charge 10% and have 1oz shot.
I have not seen any other red dot data for 16 ga and would rather be safe than sorry, but I have quita a bit of red dot from loading handgun and light rifle.
The shells would be used in a Browning 'sweet 16' and my son's remington 48.
Thank you for keeping my hands and eyes safe.
megafatcat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

No help? Usually the Lee data is very forgiving, it has to be since they do not specify primer, case, etc. I am just a little wary since I cannot find 16 GA red dot data to check.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

mega,

I'd be leary of Red Dot in the 16ga, in any hull. Fast as I go is Green Dot with 3/4oz loads. There is Alliant data for the powder listed in their current "Reloaders Guide".

For more data on the 16ga than you're ever likely to need, join the Low Pressure Group, contact RWG via PM here on this board for details, at $20 it's the price of a manual, and is constantly being worked on and updated with the group getting loads tested regularly. A bargain IMO.

Cheers,
R*2
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with R*2 in regards to not using Red Dot for reloading 16ga loads. Maybe someone has experience using that powder but I think you, and your son, would feel more comfortable loading those hulls with a different powder. You can find many 7/8 or 1oz tested loads from one of the various reloading manuals. If you don't have a current manual send me a PM and I'll help you with getting the data. After all, you do seem to care about keeping your hands and eyes safe.

If you're really going to get into reloading for the 16ga the Low Pressure Group is the best $20 you will ever spend.

Good luck.
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

that load is okay for the federal hull. For the rem hull reduce the powder to 15.5 grains and you will be okay. Do not use the fed 209A primer. Here's a load in the federal hull for 1oz so you should be okay with 7/8oz.
Fed 16 paper basewad 1 oz. Red Dot 16.0 grains Fed 209 Rem R-16 1165 9700
megafatcat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks! I have quite a bit of load data, I was just wanting to use some of this red dot I have laying around, safely. Great info on this site, long live the 16.