16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Verney Carron 16 ga SxS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Had never heard of this gun, but saw a beautiful one (used) in a gunshop today. They hadn't finished cataloging it yet, so I don't even know the price. But when I got home I got on the internet and found the company still exists and the prices were reasonable--like ~1000 euros. And they still make a 16 ga

Don't recall seeing them mentioned on this board--maybe because nobody's importing them (the web site was in French).

Edit: Went back and found a button for an English version of the site, but it has less info. Site is www.verney-carron.com

Anybody have any experience with them?
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

They don't build SxS guns anymore, but, did catalog a SxS that was produced for them, maybe Spanish or Turkish. There isn't much of a market for lower grade SxSs in Europe.
The older V & C guns could be anything from guild grade boxlocks to full on best sidelocks. Not sure when they quit that line of business, but, when I toured the factory, and met the owner, O/Us and autoloaders, with a pump or two, and military and police guns were the order of the day. The only double was a short barreled police weapon called a flashball that fired a variety of 30mm munitions, including rubber balls, bean bags, teargas, buckshot, and (gulp) grenades-not available to civilians.
Likely, an evaluation by a good double 'smith will reveal just what you are looking at. You usually get a lot for the buck with an older French gun. Good Luck!
Best,
Ted
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:25 am  Reply with quote

As Ted said, V-C is still in business but not making sxs any more. Not sure when they stopped, but don't think they've been making them themselves for some time.

I've owned a couple, seen several others, and their guns--regardless of grade--are all well made, from what I've seen. The issues you need to concern yourself with are condition and price. Also, the gun will almost certainly be short chambered (65MM, or 2 1/2"). In that case, you won't want to shoot American factory ammo in it.

Fill us in on more details; price when it's available etc. I might be interested if you're not.