16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Can we start talking about guns/shooting/hunting/dogs again?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Neat Dave: I actually like the polychoke on a gun with a vent rib.
Well the walk went OK: did not trip over the dog and fall on my face this time, only ate a cigarette butt but no oleander leaves (everywhere out here and extremely toxic to dogs-our vet lost a black lab recently). got petted by a couple neighbors, and actually looked toward a Gambel's quail! Unfortunately now bored with the wing-on-a-string thing Confused .
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Larry: you really gave me a bad case of 'covets' which I was just getting over after visiting WLM yesterday.
KyBrad: great reading-consider re-reading all of Gene Hills' stuff esp. his 'Shotgunners Notebook' and maybe even Ruark's 'Old Man and the Boy' and the follow-up 'The Old Man's Boy Grows Older' Wasn't there a release of Corey Ford's stuff about 10 yrs ago also?
But what's your reference to 'snow'-don't seem to recall that gunmaker? Scandinavian? Scottish? (Tried not to gloat the it's never too cold to shoot targets in Phoenix but it will be hotter than the surface of the sun in about 5 mths)

As for my case of covets, I am heading over to Antique and Modern Firearms right now to see if they have one of the Kimber sxs in stock. I will post some impressions if they do.

As for the reading suggestions, thanks Doc. I have read some of Gene Hill, but definitely should go back and re-read it. I do like Ruark, but have not heard of that follow up. I also like Spiller and Evans on grouse and Jim Fergus' two books on traveling around the country hunting. I have also been meaning to read a few of Larry Brown's books on pheasant as well.

I was born in Mesa AZ myself, so I am probably more of a native than you when my Dad was a professor at ASU. However, we moved here to Kentucky for Dad to take a job at UK when I was 5 and been ever since except for school and a few years working in DC. In Kentucky we put up with the winter snow and the summer heat for the most beautiful spring and fall weather anywhere in the country. Not too hot, not too cold, just right for horse racing and hunting.

Anyway, I am rambling. Off to A&M. Have a good one.

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:57 am  Reply with quote

You're so right KyBrad
Seems we've stumbled onto an interesting and hitherto unrecognized phenomenon: winter's not over yet boredom buying gun stuff.
Maybe a real gun riter' guy like Larry Brown should do some research?!?
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

well, today the only 16 ga in the store was a J C Higgins single shot made by Stevens aka Model 94

pre serial number days, not too beat up

since it was cold and windy outside (3 degrees and wind chill -13 at 1045 am), I bought it. $89.50.

maybe it wil warm up tomorrow and i can shoot some feed lot pigeons or some of those Argentina cackling doves that have moved in.....

there's 2 cases of shells in the closet......

rayb

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Thank goodness for winter gun shows. Passed by one a couple weeks ago and was forced to buy a Rem 11 16gauge Sportsman 3 shot. This was a 2 3/4 in. shell, 26 in. plain barrel choked IC in used condition. The only bad part was the spider web rust crawling over the barrel. I just got the barrel back from the smith with a new blue job and it is ready to shoot something. I will pattern it after it warms up a bit. Well on to the next project.
Ron
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

This is fun guys and alot cheaper enjoying YOUR puchases.
Will fess' up and admit to a gun show purchase last weekend. A guy was walking in with an old leather leg-o-mutton case-honest wear but no dry-rot and handle/straps in great shape. Said he got it at a yard sale (and you can find some pretty incredible stuff out here with all the older people moving in then 'moving on' so to speak) I let him be low-balled by the dealers then offered him 50$ less that he was asking and it was mine. It has a pig-skin rather than cloth interior and no maker's name. After an hour cleaning it up with Luxol it looks SO cool next to my 1922 20g. Trojan. Even my wife admitted it was a good addition to the gun room!
Keep those reports coming in. Very Happy
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

As usual we're off topic (as in another planet) on the 'Ruger Red Label' thread but it's gotten interesting Re: what's happening to hunting in KS?
Check it out and what do you think esp. out-of-staters?
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well, Doc, Saturday I went down to a couple of the local dealers to see what they had. Clayflingythingy told me that one of the dealers (Antique and Modern here in Lexington) might have one of the new Kimber's. I have bought a few guns from A&M over the years, so I thought I would check out the Kimber and maybe report back. Well, no Kimber, they must have sold it quickly.

However, I did have a long look at a 16ga Clayborough and Johnson sxs that was actually an American gun made in SF after the maker C&J moved to California from England during the gold rush. Interesting story and beautiful gun.

Also, at one of the other dealers in town I looked at several guns, including the "new" L.C. Smith, which I was singularly disappointed in. Very heavy and the wood was plain and drab for the $. No interesting 16's to speak of. The only thing that I was remotely interested in was a 20ga 1950 Superposed with a custom stock, for a project gun. I am going back and forth on this one, because the stock actually fits me pretty well right now and I could use it as a shooter while I save up the $ for having it restocked and fitted.

Good idea or no?

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the pseudo-LC. 16GG said the same thing.
Re: the Superposed-listen to your heart brother, just listen to your heart (boy-has that worthless advice gotten me in trouble in the past Laughing)