16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  fast powder/short barrels?
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Here's a question about powder and short barrels.

Theoretically, would there be a benefit to me leaning toward recipes with faster burning powders since I enjoy using shotguns with shorter barrels? From a comment in a recent post about my newest purchase, an 11-48 w/20" barrel, the thought occured to me that with the barrels being shorter (most of my upland brush guns are 20-24") would the audible report be less loud with faster powders? Would the shot have accelerated to max and the powder reach a complete burn cycle or closer to it within the 20-24" equaling a less loud report? Hmmm?

I know it may be splitting hairs, any idea or info is good here, just thinking out loud, thanks, Mike

dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:10 am  Reply with quote

HI,

Smokeless powder, in a perfect world is completely consumed, whether it has a slow or fast burn rate in a 20" barrel length.

The longer the barrel, the higher the velocity, as there is still powder gas pushing on the ejecta well past the 20" mark. I believe the rule of thumb is 15 - 25 FPS for each additional one inch of barrel length. The slower powder since there is probably more of it will produce more powder gas than the fast rate powders. You will probably see more velocity increase with the slower powders in a longer barrel than the faster burning powders.

I have never actually tested the difference in velocities with the same payload weight in different barrel lengths. There are a lot of variables in that part of your question.

I wouldn't think that there would be any appreciable difference in muzzle report between a 20" and a 24" barrel, I believe that the amount of powder and the payload weight might be a larger factor in noise production.

Personally I like to use the fastest burning powder I can for an application. In most cases the faster burners have given the better patterns and the most consistent ballistics.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Faster powders equal more loads per pound where applicable--IMO experience somewhat better patterns are obtained with a slower burning powder--Most folks use a "burn chart" to predict recoil sensation--The slower powder giving a different recoil than a faster powder---As far as the bbl length burn I would be unconcerned---use what patterns best for your particular application Cool