16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  And now for something different.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:49 am  Reply with quote

I just stumbled into an SKB 20/28 26" barrelled 485 SxS set with English stock. The wood is drop dead gorgeous. The price was ridiculously low, too low to devulge or I might be accused of fibbing, so don't ask and low enough to know it was a no brainer. The gun is NIB and 100%. I've been running my mouth about SKB SxS quality. It was time to put up or shut up. fit and finish are extra good. What in heck have I gotten into here? Talk to me guys. 16GG.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote

16gg,
If you are not sure if you want that or not, by all means, send it on to me or broker it over to me as I am extremely interested, if you do think your interested and the price is as good as you say, do yourself a favor and buy it now, immediately before some other lucky guy stumbles across it. SKB sxs are of great quality and a dual gauge set, I would never pass on it. Like I said, I am extremely interested as well as I am a SKB fan and shooter. I've been looking for that set as well, now, being a 485, it probably has side plates, I'm guessing. I passed on a 26" 20 ga 385 (no sideplates) and have regretted it ever since. A truly excellent shotgun.
-danny
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Danny's right--485 should be a sideplated gun. The usual complaints on the newer SKB's (compared to the old Ithaca imports) from SKB fans are that the newer guns are heavier, and some would say the quality is not equal to that of the older guns. That being said, Guns Unlimited, the importer, sent me one for a "test drive" a few years back. This was a 385 20ga, shortly before the SKB sxs were discontinued. By then, SKB had finally gotten smart enough to put a straight grip and a splinter (or a very trim SBT) on the same gun. I thought it was pretty nice.

Guy, according to the Blue Book, last suggested retail on the 485 "field set" was just shy of $4,000. Book says $3400, 100% new. I'd say good buy if you can snatch it in the $2500-3000 range, steal if you can get it for less.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
The gun is NIB and 100%. I've been running my mouth about SKB SxS quality. It was time to put up or shut up. fit and finish are extra good. What in heck have I gotten into here? Talk to me guys. 16GG.

Heh, a NIB 20/28 SKB sxs at a good price? 16GG, I would have slapped it down and sprinted out the door before they could wise up. Speaking from personal experience, the prices on SKB sxs's have been skyrocketing upward.

Sounds like a great deal to me. Buy it and give us a report.

Brad
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

You will end up kicking yourself in the butt if you let this one go Wink Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:04 am  Reply with quote

Guys, I guess I should have said I snapped it up like a duck would a June bug. While the dealer and I were filling out the paperwork, three other guys came by wanting to see it. Two left looking a bit sad and the other stood there glowering at me like I owed him money. He offered me $200 over what I paid, right in front of the seller, which I politely declined. Perhaps its a good thing I paid before we started the paperwork or there might have been a bidding war.

It never ceases to amaze me that interested folks will look at a super deal and walk off, only to hurry back after its too late and the deal is gone. I've seen this too many times to think it a rare occurance. There is something about gun shows that makes people overcautious or over cynical.

Whatever, I was just in the right place at the right time and got lucky. Whoever said its better to be lucky than smart was darned close to the truth. "OLE DUMBASS" blundered into this one and came away looking like a genious. Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Danny, check your PMs
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

16gg and danny (and all):

I bought a 20/28 skb 385 30"set when they first came out and have been truly happy with it. Got mine from Glenn Rea in Texas over internet - shipped directly from GU in Nebraska.

I have had 2 issues - once when shooting 20 gauge 2 winters ago, a small crack appeared in the wood (1/4" long) at the end of the tang with safety on it (top of gun). Sent to GU (skb) and repaired pronto - no questions asked.

Second - was shooting 20 gauge again this fall (2005) and forend came loose in middle of skeet round. Upon investigation, forened lug had come unsoldered from barrels - there must have been a small pit as there was rust (and I am scrupulous about cleaning) in the remaining solder on the barrels. Sent it off to GU (skb) - resoldered, reblued, and returned pronto - no questions asked.

Other than that I have thousands of rounds through mine and I shoot it very well - fits like a glove.

I too also regret passing on a 385 28 gauge with beaver tail and 28" barrels for $1400 in the fall of 2004. I even had money in my pocket and didn't buy - stupidity I still regret!

Dr. 16 Gauge