16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Special dove recipes needed for some special people.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote

I've got two dozen doves nicely packaged and labeled for two exceptionally gracious landowners whom have never tasted this bird. Although I've been dining on the gray bullets for years, I'm pretty simple (ie; lazy) when it comes to cooking and usually just rub some olive oil on them and slow roast them or just fry them in olive oil or butter with a little garlic and whatever spices I happen to grab.

Anybody have any suggestions on recipes that will best bring out the unique flavor of this great game bird for these nice farmers whom are new to the sport, but were nice enough to let a stranger on their places to do something they hadn't allowed before?

Thanks in advance and good shooting to all.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

The south Texas bacon wrapped with Jalapeno over the charcoal grill is great with dove also. The best part is that you know the breast meat is perfect when the bacon is just starting to get crisp.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Similiar to revdocdrew's recipe, we slice the breast on both sides of the breast bone and tuck green chile peppers in the cuts and wrap with bacon held in place with a toothpick. Then barbeque smothered in bbq sauce (apply frequently) on a high rack. You need to monitor closely as the bacon can start a conflagration and burn your doves. I hope to use this recipe soon on sharptails.

I am envious of your valuable possession. Since I moved to Colorado, i have not had any dove to eat.

Cheers - - Hc

bigric
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

I also wrap them in bacon and smoke them with a charcoal and mesquite fire. Add some basil and aregano for some real flavor. Some of that cooking spray over the whole thing also helps. You can also wrap the whole thing in foil and put it directly over a fire; it'll cook in its own juices that way.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Liike these other guys, I like to wrap 1/2 piece of bacon and secure with too Very Happy thpicks, then slip a sliver of jalapeno or serrano under the bacon on each side of the breast. For a colorful and tasty different twist, get some bamboo skewers at the store. make kabobs by alternating wrapped breast, onion, bell pepper and mushroom. then stick a cherry tomato on. use about 3-4 breasts per kabob. cook them over a medium charcoal or gas fire til bacon is done and veggies are roasted. again, for color alternate red, green, and yellow bell peppers. When done rake this off on a bed of rice and serve with a steamed veg of choice. The lightly roasted cherry tomatoe will spill out some moisture and impart a nice flavor with the meat and roasted vegs. I doesn't get much better than this. One kabob will serve the average person, two for us hungry for wild game. PS. I like to marinate breasts before wrapping for a couple of hours in cheap Italian dressing and some red wine. dispose of remainder of wine with the meal. enjoy Very Happy Very Happy

woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 am  Reply with quote

2 pie crusts
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. flour
2 onions-chopped fine
1/2 bell pepper-chopped fine
2 cloves garlic-chopped fine
3 ribs celery--slice 'em thin
fresh mushrooms--sliced (about a handful and a half)
1/2 can water chestnuts
12 dove
1 pint oysters - drained (save about 1T. of the liquor)
1/2c. pecans (optional)

Parboil dove and debone (save about 1/4 c. of the broth). Make a roux using oil and flour. Add onions, pepper, garlic, celery and mushrooms. Cook a few minutes adding the reserved dove broth to prevent sticking. Add oyster liquor, oysters, dove, water chestnuts. Season to taste.

Lay pie dough into pie pan and pour mixture onto dough. 2nd pie crust goes on top--crimp edges and pierce to vent. Bake @350/375 1 1/2 hours or until browned. If you chose to use the pecans I 'd add the when the pie is cut and served.
This'll freeze and keep pretty well
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:37 am  Reply with quote

I used to shoot a ton of dove in Florida. the season was long and liberal. I agree that dove is best grilled over charcoal. I also advocate several soaks in lightly salted water and several rinses to get the blood out. I used to pound the breasts with a meat mallet to tenderize them. I would wrap them in bacon and place a sliver of onion in there instead of jalopeno peppers for those who weren't able to handle spicy foods, like me. Some would get the peppers for those folks who liked them. I'd grill over a slow low bed of coals and dolloped on any good barbeque sauce until the bacon was done and the sauce carmelized. yum.

The best part was sitting around in the cool Florida evening, talking and gazing up at the incredibly clear night sky, while the breasts, and everything else like quail breasts, turkey strips, steaks, chicken, kabobs or whatever sizzled away. That and a Pearl was the closest to heaven I'll probably get. 16GG
laxcoach
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Here's an easy one--- and my favorite:
Soak breasts in lightly salted water. Melt a stick of butter and add enough Worchestershire sauce to give the mixture a medium brown color and put the birds in while the grill is getting hot. Put the birds on the upper grill BREASTBONE DOWN and baste with the butter/sauce. Cook until the edges start to become crisp, then turn and baste again. Cook until the birds start to turn brown but don't overcook. Takes about 15 minutes on the grill.
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zdove.html

Look for your favorite ingredients from among these.

DougK
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

It's simple. Spice with light salt and pepper, then slow cook over a low flame on a gas grill. Don't over cook as they get tough and dry if over cooked.