16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal hull/DR16 wad 7/8 oz velocity data
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:

I find it interesting that Hodgdon got this result:

Case: 16 ga. Winchester X-PERT
Primer: Winchester 209
Powder: 18.0 gr. Inter. Clays
Wad: DR 16
Shot: 7/8 oz. lead
1,250 fps @ 8,300 psi

Other loads in their series leading up to that example gave 50 fps and 1,000 psi increases for each whole grain increment of powder.

Sure seems odd that the Federal hull, being the only difference, would have such a huge effect. Just further points up the unpredictability of shotshell ballistics.

If that's the case, and Hodgdon really is using the smaller volume compression formed Win hull, it makes even less sense that it would generate lower pressures than the Federal hull.

Mike, I agree that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sounds like the X-Pert is the Cheddite hull.

Here's another thing I'm wondering about. I've found that as a general rule, the faster powders have a sharper pressure curve vs. a slower powder. I took that into account by starting with a slightly lower charge weight with the American Select because according to this chart,

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

American Select is a somewhat faster burning powder than IC. But my little test showed a lot more unpredictability with the Int. Clays. I would have thought the opposite.

Well, I'm not out to fill a manual with new loads and I'm not crazy about blowing up a gun, but I want to put these DR16's to work in my large capacity hulls. I'm confident that I will be able to use the American Select for "fillerless" 7/8 oz loads in the Federal hull.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:31 am  Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents:

Burn rate charts are just another tool to be used, and generally give an approximation and a general idea of how fast a powder burns.

On the chart, American Select was rated quite a bit faster than International Clays, but in this application acted a lot slower and a lot more predictable and stable.

Powder and Primer charts are OK but...... you can't rely on them 100% of the time.

Another item about International Clays, which you have seen, and I can backup is the sudden leap in pressure and velocity that occurs quite often when you get close to max with it. It really isn't a very forgiving powder, sort of like a dog that let's you in the house, but as soon as you start to leave, tries to bite you. I pretty much avoid IC.

I have gone down the same road and ended up with American Select as a better choice for 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads with the DR16.

My choice was in the Cheddite Hull and a Federal 209A primer, powder amounts were similar to yours. When they come back from testing I will post the results.

Just a side note on chronographs, 2 foot from muzzle to the start screen is an excellent starting point. When I worked with Mr. Armbrust that is how we originally set up the equipment. His 4 foot comment is, 4 feet from the muzzle to the center of the of the skyscreens with skyscreens set 48" apart, start to stop. At the time we were both using the same Oehler Chronos (35P I believe) and skyscreens. When we ran SAAMI reference ammo as well as our own, the results were so close that we rarely ever had to correct our final velocity data.

If you are setting your start screen at 4 feet from the muzzle the velocities are going to be a bit slow and you are getting close to having the wad hit the chrono or skyscreens.(No I never hit the skyscreens but I have blown apart a couple of sets of light diffusers. It was amusing to watch, but the boss wasn't really happy.) You also have a greater chance of getting wide velocity (false readings) EV and SD. This isn't meant to throw stones, just my experience. I am just trying to help out and get you as close to correct readings as you can without the benefit of some sort of reference ammo to set your chronos up.

I have also used 2 foot on Pact, Shooting Chrony and Pro Chrono and had it work out well.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:44 am  Reply with quote

DC, I set up the Chrony at 30" because the center of the screens would be 36".

I have never hit my screen rods or light diffuser, but there might be a day! I also develop loads for my rifles and a buddy told me he blew his chronograph off the tripod. Shocked

I'll look forward to seeing your data.

mtjim has a very nice Int Clays load with the Cheddite hull listed. Between his and your loads we'll have some good data for Cheddite-hull target loads.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

At 30" with the Chrony you won't hit anything.

My mid screen was at 6' and the stop screen was at 8', it got pretty exciting for a second or 2, orange diffuser pieces flying all over the place. The wad went up not down thankfully. The second time it was a steel shot wad that broke a petal off and clipped all three diffusers along with the light fixtures attached, that was the expensive one. The start screen was at 3' for that one. Both times I was searching for a consistent reading while experimenting with HOT loads. After the second 'experiment' I left the start screen at 2' and never lost another set of lights or diffusers.

Waiting on Precision now about 5 or so weeks, I want that data so I can continue. My loads are a bit hotter than yours, so I won't shoot them until I know for sure.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Load's on the way to the lab!
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Which lab?
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
Which lab?

Tom Armbrust
IFL16's
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

I emailed Keith at Precision on Monday and he wrote back saying: "We hope to be shooting (testing loads) later in July."

Larry
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen-

I am coming in late--and have some questions-

I am using Universal Clays, the new DR 7/8 ounce wad, and RGL cases.
I have seen loads for 1 ounce, and am using that load with the reduced 7/8 ounce payload. Seems to work well, but.....

Where does one send a load for 'testing'?
How many shells of a load does one send?
What is the cost?

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Hal, if you're using a 1 ounce load recipe and every component is the same except for your reduction to 7/8 oz you will be fine. You will have a reduction in pressure and a gain in velocity. (you probably know that) Maybe you only need to chrono yours and I'm sure someone at your club could do that for you.

The "low pressure group" funded my tests, but I think the cost runs about $5 per shell. You need to send three carefully weighed loads. I use a scale and powder trickler to be accurate. List your recipe neatly, and I put everything in a zip-lock baggy and pack in well.

The LPG uses:

Tom Armbrust-Ballistic Research
1108 W. May Avenue
McHenry, IL 60050-8918

I was impressed with Tom. He gets it done and sends your results back promptly.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I don't have his phone number, but I'm sure you could track it down to get his current prices.

Maybe Russ will chime in.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Dave-

Thanks for your response.

deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Dave - have you had any inclination to correlate these loadings to the shorter shells . These may shine for us old m-12 types ... sorry if this ends up in the guns section - 1st attempt to post .

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Deer Hunter, I think they might fit in shorter shells. My crimps were concave enough for me to believe they might work in 2 9/16", especially if you roll crimp them. If you drop down to 3/4 oz they should easily fit in short hulls.