16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ANTI-SEIZE LUBE
Irish Jack
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Trying to get a handle on these steel head cases, (CHEDDITE) I'm reloading with a mec 600 JR. so I ordered a MEC> super-sizer...and some mec. ANTI-SEIZE lube, for the re-size ring on the 600 jr.

My question did I buy real expensive grease, or is there some added benefit to the product?

And will I even have a problem after using the super-sizer?

thanks BRUCE

Last edited by Irish Jack on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Bruce,

Once you've got the supersizer, the ring will be unnecessary. Pick up a tube of Lithium, (white), grease from the autoparts store, works great for me. The other one which I use on choke tubes is molybdenum based "anti-seize", personally I think the various "gun greases" are overpriced marketing exercises. You'll come out of the auto place with enough grease to last a lifetime for under $10.

Cheers,
R*2
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Right--run them thru the SuperSizer and then place a UNLUBED hull in station 1 of the 600.We aren't full length sizing rifle cases Wink Either mike a factory hull or get the specs to adjust the SS correctly and you will be good to go---it SHOULD be real close from the factory--
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Bruce,
I should've pointed out that you'll need the grease for the SuperSizer, NOT the hulls. Once you've got it in hand, you'll figger it out, the collet "squeezer", for want of a better term, will need a dab or two every now and then where it runs on the exterior of the fingers. Little bits on the moving parts of the press will keep that nice and smooth. Same same with the guns,
small amounts on the moving parts, after all it's low pressure and low temp that we're dealing with.
Cheers,
R*2
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:29 am  Reply with quote

Yup. You will need to adjust the collet to squeeze steel rims much tighter that you would for brass rims. The proper setting for steel rims will undersize any brass rims. The lube helps a lot.

I always mike a few unfired factory shells first to get a good idea what is the correct rim diameter for that shell. From there, I simply turn the collet adjustment ring closed until the fired shell rims come out about the same diameter on average. (The old style resizer does not have an adjusting ring. The fingers are screwed down to resize the rims more.) The resized rims might vary about a thousandth or two bigger than factory fresh, but that is fine. If they are held to that limit, they should all feed well in any repeater. Break open guns are usually less fussy. However, I set my resizers as above, because I shoot my shells in both types.

Also be careful to note at which point the spaces between the collet fingers become fully closed around a shell rim regardless of how much or how little the shell is sized. Once that point is reached, don't push it any further. Doing so will crack the fingers from overstress. If your shells are still not being sized enough, then consult MEC. The collet fingers might be oversized. I've never had the problem, but I've heard of it happening. I'm sure MEC will exchange any defective, undamaged collet fingers at no charge. Their warranty service is top notch.

Lube the outside surfaces of the collet fingers to help ease the friction between them and the closing ring. I use a Q-tip for this. Also lube the wear points of the cams that raise the closing ring at the pivot pin ends as well as the pins of the operating lever. Also clean out the interior of the collet fingers and the spaces between them occasionally to prevent any jams or damage. I use an old dentist's cleaning pick and a tooth brush for the spaces. That gets out any residue from fired primers or other junk perfectly.

The Supersizer or the collet sizing station on your reloader should last for many years if you do regular maintainance. I own some of the earliest made Grabbers. I've reloaded many many thousands of shells of all types on them and have never had to replace the collet fingers on any of them. So I'd say my maintainance program is working.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Is this in regards to getting brass filings from resizing?
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64748&highlight=#64748

Had this issue with a 28g and 16g 600 Jr., and solved the problem by polishing the resizing ring with very fine sandpaper. Have since upgraded to progressives in each gauge.