16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning 525 Citori Field grade
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry to bring this up, as it does not concern a 16 ga, but it does involve a shotgun. Has anyone on this site had any experience with a Browning 525 Field grade Citori shotgun? I saw one at a local skeet range. It was a 20 ga. ( I think Browning makes them in all 4 gauges but not 16) and it looked sharp; it had 28" barrels and the man who had it was shooting it pretty well. I seem to remember some controversy about this gun's nitride (silver) receiver and some problems with the finish coming off....anyone had that experience? I'd love to hear any details from anyone who owns a 525 field model. Also, what's a reasonable price to pay for one? Thanks for any info.....

525field
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Well I guess you can tell by my logon name that i can help you, I have had mine for about 3yr in 12 ga. and the gun is flawless it is a dream to shoot but a little heavy to carry around all day.
I plan on getting a 16 citori before next season.
havent heard or seen any finish comming off any 525 so I can't help you there as far as pricing goes they seem to run from 1300 to 1500
gander mt offered me 1000 over the phone sight unseen for mine and I should do better if I sell it outright, i would love to have this gun in a 16
good luck i don't think you will go wrong getting one
saw557
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:09 am  Reply with quote

I shot a 12 gauge 525 a couple of weeks ago and really liked it I was a bit suprised I wasn't sure about the real tight pistol grip. I thought Browning was going to make a 16 ga in the 525 when they make the special run this year. I've e-mailed a couple of different places and checked a local shop but nobody has confirmed this although I see Bill Hanus lists them on his site but he wants about 2 grand for a field grade......seems rather high you can buy a 12 ga for about $1600 I don't see how he can charge that much more.
Scott
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

After the last fiasco involving my comments about Mr. Hanus and his pricing structure, I would not touch this one with a 20' pole let alone a 10' foot one. I'll just let everyone else do the math. Wink 16GG.
saw557
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I just got a reply from browning gun center and they said the 525 will be available late this fall or early 2007. Now for the KICKER they want $1995 for it!!! whats the deal? you can buy a 12 ga 525 for $1600 is there that much of a preium but on a 16 ga or are they out make a buck? seems like a bunch of crap to me. As a side note a dealer I talked said I could get a White lightning for about $1400
Scott
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Scott, I'm assuming the Browning gun center you refer to is Browning Inc. If so, the quote is the suggested retail price which is always above the average sale price. However, I'd check further to see if this is the SRP. The actual average selling price will be determined by how many are made available, and how much demand is there in the regional markets.

If this is going to be a limited run, never to be reissued, then they will probably be snapped up by collectors/speculators for future sale. Some of these limited models will command shocking prices in a few years. Some won't. Its a gamble pure and simple in most cases.

16 ga. White lightnings went for anywhere from $1440 to 1600 on average depending on where and when. They have been discontinued I've been told. this will now influence the selling price upwards as they become scarcer. However, most have some of the plainest walnut ever put on a Browning Citori. This will limit their future interest somewhat to a whole bunch.

Good looking stock wood sells a gun, not the action finish. Nicely figured walnut is both unique and can't be duplicated. It will always be one of a kind. If you do have to pay the long price for a 16 ga. 525, then pick one with the best wood you can get. If you pay around the average going price, your gun will hold its value very well then. I've found this to be true 100% of the time.

However, paying a big premium over the average going price for a gun with a nice piece of wood will usually lose you money over time. Nobody likes being scalped, especially gun people. All the wood will do is make the individual gun more desirable within its average price range, where ever that price range goes in time. hope this info helps. 16GG

PS: I just reviewed Hanus's info-ad. It seems the 16 ga. white lightning will be made again. I'm fairly certain his quoted prices are at least SRP. They will be as plain Jane as before. There is another grade on the same finished action with upgraded wood. The price appears to be the same. (???) I'd get the best wood I could for the least amount I'd have to pay--probably not from BH. Other dealers will have these guns for sale.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
saw557
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:24 am  Reply with quote

It was "browningguncenter.com" so I don't know if that was retail price or not. At that kinda of moneyas much as I want a 16 ga it's little hard to justify a 16 ga over a 20ga thats $400 less. The dealer I checked with earlier didn't have the 525 on the books just the lightning's It's hard to find a place that knows anything about the new run of guns. Your right I don't liked getting screwed on prices I don't mind paying the going rate....just don't screw me. I am going to do some more checking around
Scott
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Smart move. In most cases, haste is a mistake unless the price is a no brainer. In that case do as the duck would do with a June bug. Wink However, buy direct from a primary source rather than through a third or fourth party if possible. This will cut out the middle men. Perhaps Browning Inc in Utah can help you locate on of these primary dealers. Chechk out scheel's too. Their prices seem to have been extra good on a number of 16 ga. Browning models.

Also watch Shotgun Sports and the Gun List. both will have ads of these bigger high volume dealers. Plus, I'm certain the guys here will be posting where and when these new models hit the market. If you can also remember or find out who the big dealers were in the last go round, many will be in on this new one. Good luck. 16GG
saw557
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Well I got ahold of one of the more reliable dealers in the area and they made a call and according to thier source the 525 in 16ga is NOT a sure thing yet and it will be at least this fall early next year before it happens if at all. they also said it may be a custom deal right from Browning and not a "mass" production run. Can anyone verify it is going to happen for sure ? I explained I've been seeing reports on the net but they didn't take much stock in that. They happen to have a NIB Citori Feather 16 ga with 26" barrels for $1600 seems like a pretty fair price doesn't it? I would like to hold out for a 525 I like the schnabel foreend better than the lightning. But I don't know if a poor white boy like me can swing 2k
Scott
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Ahhemmm!!! I sense that you are getting to be more like the frog. Be more like the 'gator. Lay flat, eyes and ears open, unmoving and patient as an oyster. When the right deal comes by, SNAP!!! SPASH!!! ripple...silence. Remember this-- frogs are 'gater bait. Wink Laughing

I'd handle a few different models before deciding. Once you've bought it, you own it. If it isn't right, then you can't just stick it back on the rack and say, "thanks for your time". Many of the Citori 20 ga. models feel very close to the 16 ga models. Use them in reference. In most cases if you don't like the feel of the 20, you won't be pleased with the 16 either. 16GG.