16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powders for reloading the 16 gauge
Bobshouse
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 am  Reply with quote

leadman wrote:
Just started reloading shotgun. Long time rifle loader. Lots to learn. Was advised Clays is too fast and Herco on the other end of the scale, for heavy loads. My problem is finding combos for all the hulls and wads out there. Guess I'll keep reading posts until I learn enough to ask questions I can understand the answers to.

Leadman, there is one load for the 16 using Clays Powder. You can find it on Hodgdon's site under cowboy loads.

Bob
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Bob, considering the many different powders out there today, i can understand how it all gets a bit bewildering. Clays is basically a 12ga. target load powder for 7/8 oz through 1-1/8 oz 2-3/4 drams eq. loads. It is too fast for all but the lightest 16 ga. loads. I'd advise using International Clays and Universal clays for the lighter 16 ga. loads up to 1 oz. Both these powders are nearly identical to Alliant Green Dot and Unique and will work in place of them. Thje charge weights will vary only slightly. the slower burning rates are a bit more forgiving and will also allow for a wider range of safe pressures and useful velocities.

I suggest you seek out a relative burning rate chart of today's powders. This will help you identify which powders are faster burning and which are slower. Most commercial reloading manuals like the Lyman Shotgunner's Reloading Handbook have these charts. Then compare this knowledge with the more frequently recommended powders for reloading 16 ga and you will soon be able to identify the most suitable ones.

One rule of thumb to follow: the smaller the gauge, the slower the powder. The heavier the shot load, and faster the velocity, the slower the powder should be too. Then its a simple matter of identifying those powders in the proper burning rate range that also have the most suitable bulk or density to allow enough room for for the wad and shot to be able to crimp the shell properly.

There will usually be more than one choice. However, the various manuals will mention the best ones more frequently. Finally, once you find a good powder for your purpose, stay with it. I've been using the same four powders to load the 16 ga. for years now. They are Alliant Green dot, Unique, Herco, and blue Dot. I have listed them from fast to slow in burning rates I have found no need to change. They cover the entire spectrum of 16 ga loads from 3/4 oz target to 1-1/4 ounce mag loads. it keeps the matter very simple for me.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:00 am  Reply with quote

I really like PB in the 16....... Solo 1250 does well for me as well.

I load 15/16oz almost always for targets, even for Chukars with #7 shot.

7625 works well for 1 1/8oz loads which I have loaded for pheasant every so often, but prefer the 15/16oz for most everything else.

Slidehammer
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Slidehammer, I also have come to like PB for the 16ga. I had tried a 1/2# can not long after IMR's buyout, in the event that I might find a good closeout deal on that like I did with a quantity of 800X not too long ago.

I was pleased with the results. It is somewhat faster than 800X, more in the area of Green Dot, and you can feel that the recoil is somewhat sharper than you find with 800X, when you let off one load, and then the other.

Bobshouse
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice and would never recommend a load that was not published by a powder manufacturer. I do not experiment with shotshell loads, nor do I accept recommended loads without first verifying them through a confirmed source. That is why you will never see me list a recipe.

I use Clays for my 12 gauge reloads and was surprised to find a load published for the 16 gauge using Clays powder. As you stated, previously I always used HS-7 or Longshot for my 16 gauge loads. As of this date, I have not personally tried Clays, but if it will allow me to streamline my reloading process and save me a few dollars, I'm willing to give it a try.

Bob
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:58 am  Reply with quote

Seems the bulkier powders have always worked best for me. Still like the old favorites IMR 7625 and 4756 the best, however Longshot is making its way to tyhe top of the list for lead hunting loads. Non toxic loads are either Blue Dot or STEEL powder.
Does anyone use Herco, how is it's performance?
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:05 am  Reply with quote

16GAwaterfowler wrote:
Seems the bulkier powders have always worked best for me. Still like the old favorites IMR 7625 and 4756 the best,

Does anyone use Herco, how is it's performance?

Herco is an old standby that always puts out the "horsepower" for me. But that said it does it "old school" with smoke, soot, even flame if you shoot too early!

I agree with your IMR choices along with PB for the 16, and 4756 is my choice over Herco these days now that its prices are a little more competitive.

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Bob, I can understand your caution. However, when it comes to the 16 ga., most reloaders will eventually resort to comparing data and manipulating archaic load recipes to suit the available componants. They will do this out of necessity.

It can be done safely if the relative hull capacity is determined first, the powder properly selected, and the powder charge reduced to an overly safe level and then worked up slowly and exactly. The reloader must also be able to predict the effects swapping wads will have on load pressure. Staying with a mild primer helps too.

Getting to this level of reloading proficiency takes time and study. It is certainly not for a beginner. But it can be done eventually if you have the necessary data available.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

I like WSF (Winchester Super Field) and HS6/W540 - the two are the same and interchangeable. For heavier loads, W571/HS7 - again, interchangeable - work well.

C Man