16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  hunting loads vs target loads
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,Ladies(are there any on this forum?), I sometimes see phases like "my favourite hunting load", or "i use that in my hunting loads", or "a favourite clays load" bantered about on this forum.

I am curious about how each of you defines the difference between your hunting loads and your clays, or target loads. Is it payload? Is it speed? Is it hull color?

I mainly hunt grouse, and 7 1/2s pointed in the right direction (with no trees in the way) tends to be my "favourate hunting load". I find the targets suffer equally if I point in their general direction.

I look forward to your definitions.

AjaxFjr.
bigkev
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with you. I also hunt mostly grouse and woodcock and use the same loads of 7.5's for targets and game. I like the velocity in the 1150-1200 range. I tend to shoot 7/8 oz in the right and 1 oz in the left. If I am hunting prairie birds, I will use #7 & #6 shot, but with the same velocities.
aabradley82
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with ya'll, I want to know what I'm shooting. that way I don't have to change leads,which I don't have figured out perfectly anyway. I might add shot to increase the pellet to bird ratio but i want my shot in the same spot, hopefully the bird is there too.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

I think target loads and hunting loads can be the same thing when it comes to smaller, more fragile birds like grouse and woodcock. Moderate velocity with a fairly light payload.

My definition of a target load is one that is light and easy to shoot in large volumes like you would at a clay range. Hunting loads cover the gamut from light loads again, to the heavy shot charges at higher velocity.

Take 25 shots at clay targets with a 16 gauge shooting 7/8 oz at 1150 fps, and then take 25 more with Fiocchi Golden Pheasants, or B&P F2's, or a similar handload, and then you will know the difference.
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

My target loads generally have less shot and finer shot than I might use for hunting (8 1/2 vs #7). Often a different wad or filler added. I use my older cases and a cheap Euro primer vs Win AA. I try to keep velocity about the same for all .. 1200 FPS +/-. Cheaper to shoot and easier on guns and shooter. When I shoot for prizes or honor, I shoot factory shells and a competition quality gun.

huntNnut
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

My target loads are 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz of #9 or 1 oz. of #7 1/2 . I also use the 1 oz. of #7 1/2 for grouse, woodcock and quail. For pheasants 1 1/8 oz. of #6's.

All the velocities for target and hunting loads are approximately 1275 FPS.

Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

In 50 seasons of Pheasant hunting, I'm very sure I've killed more birds with a 12-gauge #7 1/2 trap load then all other shell/load combinations out there. Last fall I started into my first box from a new flat of 3 dram equiv. 1 1/8 ounce #7 1/2 Federal papers. Gotta love that smell.

bcpifish
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

About all I hunt any more is dove, thus my hunting and target loads are identical. In 16 ga. thats Rem hulls, W209 primer, 16.5 gr. Unique, CB WAA16 replacement wad, 7/8 oz. of 7.5 mag shot.

Never seen a target or a dove that this load won't take.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne