16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithica sxs chamber legnth question
fishjerker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have an Ithica sxs serial # 363xxx. Does anyone know if it is chambered 2 3/4 or if it has shorter chambers. Thanks for any help.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:04 am  Reply with quote

Your gun is a Flues model made in 1922/1923. Unless the chambers were lengthened it has 2 9/16th inch chambers.

Be sure you shoot relatively low pressure and low recoiling ammuntion in your Flues as they are prone to crack the reciever when shot with high pressure heavy recoiling ammuntion.

Recommend a maximum load of 1 ounce of shot at 1100 FPS and a chamber pressure of less than 9000 PSI.
fishjerker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I think I will have them legnthened. I also have a Remington 1900 in 12 ga that has short chambers. Hoping maybe I can get a bulk discount.
popplecop
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:47 am  Reply with quote

I also shoot a Flues 16 and love it. I like to keep the pressures as low as I can. I use ARMUSA Vintagers 1 oz. of 8s in a 2.5" lenght. Great load.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Fishjerker, lengthening the chamber won't do anything to reduce the pressure, although lengthening the forcing cone MAY reduce it a little. You still need to stick with low pressure ammo in that old Fluesie, as recommended above.
fishjerker
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Plan on keeping the pressures low. The load I'm going to use runs about 8800 psi. The chambers are 2 3/4" already. Previous owner probably had them legnthened. The Remington is in the shop. My Smith said he would do it for $25 a hole. Thanks for all the info.
525field
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1912 flues 16 and it has 2.75 chambers checked it with a chamber gage. I had people tell me that it had 2.50 and everything in between so i got a walker chamber gage and droped it in. I shoot gamebore #6 from Balisitc . They run about 100.00 a case and work well on any game bird
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 am  Reply with quote

525, I'd bet a fair amount of money that your Ithaca did not come from the factory with 2 3/4" chambers. Back then, I don't think there were even any 2 3/4" 16ga shells yet. Lots of old American (and foreign too) doubles have had their chambers lengthened.
525field
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I found this gun at a show in wichita and it is almost perfect,i was looking for a lighter gun for the field and found this.
I paid 800 for it and it is a dream to shoot infact I only used my browning once the hole season.If there has been work done to it they did a great job.
I have used some one ounce loads in it and even some golden phesants
the grain in the wood is something to see and the case color is bright
This weekend I am going down to gander Mt. to look at some 16 browning's the 525 is getting a little heavy for me to carry all day Im getting a little long in the tooth will see what happens
mdoerner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

525field wrote:

I have used some one ounce loads in it and even some golden phesants

Be careful with the golden pheasants, they aren't below 9000psi in pressure. Unless you're using handloads or Vintagers ammo the pressures usually run around 10,500 psi even with the 1 oz loads.

Mike Doerner