16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Brass Shotshells
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Some of you were asking about the use of brass shotshells on this forum a few days ago. I happened to attend a gun show in Valparaiso, IN yesterday and one gentleman, a cowboy action shooter, had for sale at his table, unloaded new brass shotshell cases in 12, 16 and 20 gauge. They were made by Magtech, and I noticed that the 16 ga. brass cases were
2 1/2" in length. He says they are primed with large pistol primers. I asked about what wads, powder, etc. he used and he said since the cases are thicker (walled) he uses 14 ga. wads, over-shot cards, a glue gun, etc. to make his loads. Reloading is not my favorite task (hunting and shooting are) so when he mentioned all the steps, paraphernalia, etc, he uses, I was left cold....but I did see these cases and they can be bought. He was asking $18.95 for a box of 25 new cases.....

311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Hmm... Rip off.

You can get them from Graf & Sons for $7.99 a box (25) in 16ga. Also sell the BERDAN primers for $21.99 per 1000.

I've worked up a load using Ballistics Products SP12 plastic wad over a 13ga 1/8" nitro card and using a 12ga 1/8" nitro card over the shot.
Adjust the shot collumn (7/8 to 1 oz.) in the BP12 using 20ga fiber wads (1/4 to 3/8").

Load mine on a MEC single stage loader. A bit of a pain to pick out the fired primer and re-seat the new ones, but great fun busting clays with it.

Gotta try some loads with Hodgen777 powder so see the smoke!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thwe guy did tell me those cases last a loong time....

311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Other than being stepped on I believe that they can be reloaded many, many times. So far I've reloaded some at least 6 times, and other than being tarnished can't see any change. May harden at the mouth? easy to correct that: set them upright on a brick, heat mouth with a torch and tip into cold water when still hot (old trick used to anneal mouth and necks of rifle brass after x-tine firings and resizing).

On the reloading thread someone noted cracks at the mouth after many firings. Could be caused by the brass hardening, or did they try to crimp/roll the ends to hold the over shot cards???

Just had a little fun today: loaded a few using Hodgen777 powder (same volumn powder as 1 oz shot). Load roared with authority, lots of smoke and tight pattern through my Stevens 311A 16ga (M & F). Think I'll work up 7/8 oz shot and same volumn powder for next go round. Nice thing about the triple-7 is that it does not stink and cleans up with water.