16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning Citori Lightning 16
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys,
At the Cabela's Gun Library here in Dundee, MI there is a Grade 1 Browning Citori 28" ( I think ) with Invectors for 1299.00 It's used in about 95-98 condition, thier price is high, but they are always flexible there. I got a few beauties out of there for cheap cheap cheap, paying cash up front. They won't budge if your going the layaway route. Any way there you go, There was a little slop in the wood / metal fit on the forend / forend iron area, but other than that looked good.
-danny
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Ironically, I got a 1988, 28" Gr I 16ga Citori out of this store via a transfer to KTP several years ago. It has a very nice fiddleback figure to the butt and a lighter shade of walnut than is usual too. Unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be viewed, the four cornered choke tube wrench was not secured and got loose in the box during transit. The butt was scratched up some. The barrel had a bit of pepper tracking from vibration on one side, not much and hardly noticable.

My friend at KTP contacted the head of the Dundee gun library and gave an informed evaluation of the damage. From that I was offered a substantial discount off the original agreed price or the option to ship it back at their cost. The price was way too good to pass it up seeing it was going to be a hunting gun anyway.

A touch of Brownell's Phospho Blue well rubbed in hid the damage on the barrel and the natural aging of the finish and the many cleanings and after hunt rub downs in the last several years did the rest. The stock finish was lightly sanded and smoothed. I blew on a new coat of plastic varnish to match the original finish, levelled it with a careful rub and buffed it out. The gun looked new after. It is now my favorite gun and the one you've heard me refer to in the past. It has always seemed to be very well balanced and lively to the shoulder. I matched the weight and balance of the 1987 gun I got last year from KTP to this 1988 gun.

I can't say I've been treated as well or as fairly by all the different Cabela's gun libraries. The Dundee store did though. It goes to show that a store or firm is only as good as its people. I'd recommend the folks at dundee highly. 16GG