16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  added a Model 12
texasbilly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

After selling an Ithace 37 16gauge when I needed the money, I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge. What made this special is that this shotgun, made in 1960, apparently was never shot. I looked hard at the finish to determine if the perfect bluing was a refinish job. I could find nothing to indicate either the stock or the metal had been touched. The barrel was difficult to remove, and when I cleaned out all the lint and dust, it had a mirror finish. The price was less than I would have guessed. Yes, I am going to shoot it.

Sometimes you are in the right spot at the right time (and with money in hand). I am so pleased that I had to tell someone, and I knew this forum would appreciate hearing about it and understand my excitement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Way to go! It is a blast when everything comes together like that. Enjoy the gun, and thanks for sharing.
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet deal! Only thing I look for on a suspect re-blue is the sharpness of lettering and frame edges. If not polished away, a re-blue don't scare me none at all. If original, so much the better!

kgb
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Details---choke-barrel length,recoil pad ,tec Wink
texasbilly
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

More details....

The Model 12 has a 28 inch plain barrel, choked MOD. The chamber length is 2 3/4". There is no recoil pad - only the original butt plate.

I mentioned that I had difficulty removing the barrel. It was very tight. When I finally was able to remove the barrel, I found what appeared to be a hard, thin lacquer coating on the mating surfaces. This may have been something applied at the factory, or it could have been old oil that migrated into the joint between the barrel and the receiver.

I paid less than $400.00 for the shotgun.

canam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:27 am  Reply with quote

I saw one like it in Atlanta for around $850! I will keep looking.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:21 am  Reply with quote

texasbilly wrote:
More details....

The Model 12 has a 28 inch plain barrel, choked MOD. The chamber length is 2 3/4". There is no recoil pad - only the original butt plate.

I prefer a 28 inch on a M12, and a Mod. choke's more desirable than Full, which is more common.
Quote:

I mentioned that I had difficulty removing the barrel. It was very tight. When I finally was able to remove the barrel, I found what appeared to be a hard, thin lacquer coating on the mating surfaces. This may have been something applied at the factory, or it could have been old oil that migrated into the joint between the barrel and the receiver.

It's old oil turned to varnish. I run into this crap almost every time I aquire another older gun. Last one was a M42, and was chock full of this gunk. Have found that the newer water based bore cleaners (ie Hoppe's elite), and an old toothbrush, do a great job of removing this stuff.

Quote:
I paid less than $400.00 for the shotgun.

You made off like a bandit! Market value of an unfired gun like that would be at least $800. Check out http://daverifflegunsales.com.phtemp.com/12.htm for some eye popping prices. Best I've done is I bought a nearly unfired 12g M12 field grade for $450.