16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  And once more into the breech...16ga breech naturally
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

16crazy wrote:
Kybrad16- Terry Wielands book "Spanish Best "would be a great travel guide. He talks you through a tour of Eibar. I would look hard at taking advantage of that offer.

I am of the understanding that you can order a gun in Eibar from a maker for about half the price of buying from an importer in the US. However the trip takes up the other 50%. Never having done this I can only relate what I have read and my knowledge of airline tickets and travel.

I am also of the understanding that ordering on your own is not without its disadvantages. Number 1 is the language difference. Also if you receive your gun and there is some problems you maybe talking or writing to someone in Spain. I trust it can be difficult to explain a problem over the phone to someone several thousand miles away with which you do not share a common language!

Great! Thanks 16crazy. You know, this website is great for having super advice like that. Thanks alot guys, it really means something to have good solid advice when planning big stuff like this.

I have ordered the Terry W. book, Spanish Best via my local bookstore. I get a very good discount since I used to work there and still fill in occasionally. It definitely keeps my book budget much more inline.

Well, I have heard that, but since I am going to be over there anyway, why not go to Eibar? Also, I don't know if my first post made it clear, but I really wont have any language difficulties, since my friend that I am going with is totally fluent and native and part Basque I believe. He is doing his PhD on Basque literature, so he is virtually a native in both language and culture.

Having said that, I hope that it still works out to be a good trip. I may not end up getting a gun over there, but it will be fun nonetheless. Did you have a gun picked out when you went over or did you look around at the various manufacturers?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Also, about the Brits, I have to say that I studied in Britain for 2 1/2 years and lived in London and Canterbury, well one day I stumbled into Purdeys and had an experience very similar to yours with Rigby. They could not have been any nicer and if I ever have enough to get a bespoke British gun, they will certainly get a first and long look because of that uncommon courteousness to a very poor American student.

Brad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Modern diplomacy was perfected by the British. They are still the best there is at it. Who else but a Brit could tell you to got straight to hell, sell you a first class ticket, and make you look forward to the trip. Laughing 16GG.
16crazy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

KyBrad16
I didn't go to Eibar but have just read about it.

When I was in London I had planned to hit some of the Big Names but knew I couldn't afford a London gun. Purdy along with Holland and Holland are well worth a walk through. Not alot in either I could afford but Holland did have a number of books at a decent price. However I bet I am the only forum member with a pair of 16 gauge Purdy snap caps!!! Very Happy

Keep us posted,
16crazy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Fancy that what! Smile

I have a Portuguese aquaintance who goes back every year. He buys a new Spanish double or two, has the purchase shipped back, sells it, and it helps cover his trip. He told me he could get a 16 ga avg, quality, nicely appointed boxlock for around 1.1k or thereabouts. I'm considering it later this year. The box lock AyA like a 453 is very reasonable over there. Its nice to have friends. 16GG.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Below is the discourse between Jack Rowe And I about the 116 AyA. I think you all will find it informative and enlightening. I have forwarded the info to the gun's owner. He must now decide on the risks involved in selling a gun that may or may not be both soundly functional and safe to an uninformed buyer at the price he desires.

I would not take ownership without sending the gun to Jack to assess the possible damage and replace the pins if needed. These pins hold the locks in place and also act as axles for some of the moving parts. It they've been overtorqued as their present orientation shows, then they might fail and could possibly cause the gun to fire accidently. Its not worth the risk to me and would be wrong to risk hurting myself or another person.
Therefore, the gun is not worth the asking price and must be discounted to allow for the repairs.

Like I said, live and learn. I would also add, be very cautious when buying a used gun you know little to nothing about. I have learned a lesson here due to Jack Rowe's kindness and integrity. Even better, it cost me only the time and effort to ask the right questions of the right person. I also thank everyone who has helped me here on this site with this matter. you guys are the best. 16GG.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 25, 2006 2:28 PM
To: jrowe@ionet.net
Subject: RE: Mod 116 repair

Thank you for your kind offer. I am currently negociating for the gun and do not own it yet. I'd like to get an idea of the availability of those parts most likely to break and require service like main springs,lever springs, strikers, firing pins etc. As you know, the 116 is a sidelock action and over 20 years old now. I was told and am assuming that it has solid striker springs and a solid lever spring too. Is this true, or do the locks employ coil springs? Are the springs the same type used in current AyA models or unique to this one?

I own and shoot a 16 ga, 1960 boxlock Matador. It has always handled very well for me, and thankfully has never suffered from the trigger problems others of its type have. However I don't know that much about other older AyA shotguns, especially sidelock models. I do know The 116 is not one of the more expensive AyA models, and is presently valued at under 1.3K in its present used condition. I intend to use it as a game gun and for occasional recreational target shooting. However, I've no wish to create another so called "Spanish orphan" if the most damage or failure prone parts are very scarce to nonexistrant and cost prohibitive to custom make.

This one's sidelock screws appear to be not timed to horizontal, and appear to have had the slots very lightly buggered from an ill fitting driver bit. I don't know if the screws on the older AyA guns were timed like the new ones are. So this may or may not be an indicator of problems.

I'd appreciate it if you could send a schedule of repair costs for parts and labor of the more common jobs you feel might be needed in case any of the more wear and/or breakage prone parts fail. I tried phoning you but the number I got off the AyA web site is no longer in service. If you wish, please send your present one.

FYI, I am a member of the 16 Gauge Society. Several of the more prominent posters have mentioned you, and you are highly thought of. Therefore, I feel I can trust the advise and info you send me.You can either email me any info or insight you might care to share or you can mail me.
Respectfully, 16GG

Reply-To : jrowe@ionet.net
Sent : Saturday, February 25, 2006 6:12 PM
RE: Mod 116 repair

Dear 16GG
THe Mod 116 was like a cheaper version of the No.2 without ejectors. A lot of the parts of the present No, 2 will fit the 116, like firing pins, toplever springs and mainsprings.

From what you tell me about the gun having chewed up pins ( screws) it sounds like it may well have been monkeyed with. Therefore excercise caution before buying this gun. Dont worry I am not trying to sell you one. But be carefull. If one these inviduals that have the nerve to call themselves gunsmiths have been into it, you could end up with a big bill to put it right.

Pay particular attention to the barrels, make sure no one has been monkeying with those. I must tell you that the Blue Book of gun values shows a value of only $1000 for a 116 in 100% condition. thats as new . One in 60%condition only $500. All AYa guns are finshed with pin ( screw) slots straight, ( east & west), and always were. As the gun is no longer made, theres no other way to judge the value other than than the blue book.

I do carry a full range of parts for the present AYA guns, but they dont drop in they have to be fitted. So if you do buy this gun, I can supply or fit any part.

Thanks for the compliment about my being well known. Its understandable having had 60 years in this trade one way or another.

Best regards,

Jack Rowe
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I talked with the owner of the 116 last night. he is taking the gun off the market to have it checked out and repaired to make it right. This fellow is making a wise decision and it speaks to his integrity. I wish all gun traders were as honest and thoughtful as this one. I told him that once the gun comes back, I'd love to have first chance at buying it then. Such an encounter with an honest man is always a pleasure whether I buy the gun for sale or not. I also asked him to join our group. I hope he does. 16GG.