16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lethality
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

I found this article interesting. The quote below is only a piece of the article. I listed the link below for the entire article.

"Tom Roster (see endnote) in the USA, with the largest lethality database in the world, has frequently stated that, to avoid wounding, one needs a sufficient number of pellets that have sufficient energy to penetrate the vital areas – i.e. brain, cervical and thoracic vertebrae and heart."

http://www.wildfowling.co.uk/magazine/penet.htm

I am not a Roster fan but.....

popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:49 am  Reply with quote

This is an excellent article that all should read. A lot of this is something we probaly knew in the back of our minds, but forgot what it means.
popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:54 am  Reply with quote

rerundogchaser37. Threw me a curve, knew I just read thison another site. The name change got me off track. Anyway thanks for posting it here also.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more large LEAD pellets that penetrate vitals create kills--The search for a substitute has lead to some alternatives--some with more potential than others--Too bad the treehuggers what make up the new laws have never been in a blind and seen the actual results Evil or Very Mad Shocked
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

One reason why I choose to use high velocity loads. You have to get the pellets into the vitals, one factor is velocity, combined with appropriate shot size.

I am not in Charles Hammack's camp of small shot, light payload and high velocity. I also do not (ordinarily) shoot large pellets. I tend to fall in the middle, I shoot 5 1/2-7 shot @ 1300+fps on pheasant size birds.
Enough pellets on target and when the pellet gets to target, will penetrate.

Not saying anyone is wrong, right or either, just that is my philosophy, and will change if "science" and experience tells me to do so. But as of today, I will be shooting pheasants with 1oz of 5 1/2's, 6's and 7 shot right on about 1350-1375fps.

Hevi-shot, different story. I like to use 6 or 7 1/2's but still driving it at 1300fps or more. Late season, longer shots, tougher birds, the hevi-shot really works.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

PLEASE GUYS,

I did not begin this thread looking to start a no win debate about, shot size, shot velocity or payload weight. Or to comment on somebody that you may or may not agree with, or lost another debate with.

This is an article about lethality and shooting effectively. It is all about the placement of the shot cloud to hit the brain, neck vertbrae, spinal cord or the heart, to get an instant kill without a wounding a bird to have it run or fly off unharvested. As interested hunters, I thought that some would appreciate the article. It is written by a British hunter and it offers a good perspective.

I posted it below in case you missed the link.

http://www.wildfowling.co.uk/magazine/penet.htm

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Don't really care why you started this thread. Will make whatever comment I choose on whatever thread I want.

Wasn't replying to you in particular, just posting my opinion for others who may have followed the post.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for upsetting you kind sir.