16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Traditions Real 16/16 Gold
1ozload
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have looked at the previous posts about these guns. Is there any members that have actually held or shot either of these?? Around here it is an issue of having to order one or the other. Not shotgun country by any means. I can't seem to make an informed decision as to if these are good or should I just plan on getting a Browning when they come out this Fall?? Any opinions or first hand accounts would be appreciated. Thanks.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

1ozload wrote:
I have looked at the previous posts about these guns. Is there any members that have actually held or shot either of these?? Around here it is an issue of having to order one or the other. Not shotgun country by any means. I can't seem to make an informed decision as to if these are good or should I just plan on getting a Browning when they come out this Fall?? Any opinions or first hand accounts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am in virtually the same position myself. Good question there. I would be very interested to learn what the other 16 gaugers think on this question.

However, I have handled both guns. The Traditions 16 feels like a nice gun, but then I handled a Browning Lightning 16 (Grade III at Cabela's in KC) and was blown away at how nice it felt and handled for me... I just couldn't do the $2200 price tag though. I am very torn on this... I have thought about the field grade on the Brownings and want to go look at one and shop around for the best price. I know Scheels has a good price on one, but I am one of those who likes to feel the gun before I buy it.

In the end, I haven't pulled the trigger so to speak on this yet. I am waiting for the new 2006's to come in since my dealer here in Lexington is getting 3-4 in the shop and has an upland one sort of earmarked for me. I am really looking forward to him getting it in sometime this summer/fall.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase...

Brad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

KB, the Browning was speaking to you. If a gun feels so obviously better than a another in your hands, never question that sensation. Find one you like and don't ever look back. As far as high grade guns go, never buy one without seeing it first. If you must order sight unseen, then ask for the customary three day look. If it does not suit, send it back. Even standard grade guns vary a bit fit and finish. Again, ask for the three day look. If the seller does not agree, shop elsewhere. I can't imagine Scheel's not honoring this procedure. As long as the gun is returned at your expense and in the same shape it was shipped to you.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
KB, the Browning was speaking to you. If a gun feels so obviously better than a another in your hands, never question that sensation. Find one you like and don't ever look back. As far as high grade guns go, never buy one without seeing it first. If you must order sight unseen, then ask for the customary three day look. If it does not suit, send it back. Even standard grade guns vary a bit fit and finish. Again, ask for the three day look. If the seller does not agree, shop elsewhere. I can't imagine Scheel's not honoring this procedure. As long as the gun is returned at your expense and in the same shape it was shipped to you.

Good point there. I have to say I almost walked out with that Browning Grade III 16ga Citori at Cabelas, it felt that good. I was really impressed with how good the balance between the hands was for it. Another gun that I was really impressed with there was a Merkel 1620 16ga. Fine gun.

Good advice on picking out higher grade guns. I think I am going to save my $$ and wait for my dealer to get a few of the 2006 16 gauge Citori's in since he is a Browning Master Class dealer and is planning on placing his order for 4-5 of them at the SHOT show next week.

I talked to him today about which models and he asked me which ones I wanted him to get. I voted for a 26", classic feather lightning grade III. He said that he is going to probably order a 26" feather lightning grade I, a 28" white lightning grade I, a 525 field grade 28" grade II/III, and a superlight grade I, plus the 26 or 28", classic feather lightning grade III when he was at the show if he can get all of them. I am looking forward to seeing them thats for sure.

KyBrad
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

1OZ:

I have not seen or handled the Traditions Real 16 but I have examined several Traditions O/U's at my local dealer. Based on my exams I would rate them as OK guns but I personally would hold out for the Browning.

The wood was proud and the wood had that awful mud color that one sometimes sees on Italian guns. For a little more money one can upgrade to the Browning. Hope this helps.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Traditions sent me one of their Real 16 Golds to play around with. Very nice wood, good fit and finish, decent quality for the money. My major problem is the weight: 7/2 for a 16ga OU with 26" barrels. Shouldn't be that heavy.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Yup, might's well be a 12 ga.. By the way Larry, are yougoing to the shot show? If so, will you speak to the Beretta folks about a 16ga SxS. and the wad producers about some 16 ga wads. Thanks, 16GG.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:46 am  Reply with quote

I just don't see these guns holding up----you get what you pay for Twisted Evil I looked at a Dehann the other day ,kinda scared me,the owner said he has had it the shop more than his old lady's car Embarassed My advice -save your pennies and buy a Browning.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Amen to the advice given here. The 16 ga. Browning Citori O/U is an excellent gun for the money. And the 1620 is tops. Better in the long run to save and get the best you can afford.

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Guy, I'm not going to SHOT. A Beretta 16 . . . I'd say not impossible, but probably not likely either.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Thanks anyway Larry. I was just thinking that Beretta has already made this sxS gun. Why not reissue. The market is now obviously there.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hey 16 gg how about working Ruger over to make a 16 gauge gold label.
Very nice well built gun for the money. I handled a 12 gauge the other day if it was a sixteen it would have went for a ride with me.
portsider44
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote

I haven't handled one so I can't help you much there. When I first heard about them I was a a little excited. However seeing the prices on them hoover above a grand it just doesn't make any sense to me.

If they were in that under $800 range it might be tempting. BUt why spend $1100 on the Traditions when another $400 would get you in the browing.