16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New 16 SXS in the stable
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Hi Larry!

The barrel serial number is stamped on the bottom of each barrel. "William & Powell & Son 35 Carrs Lane Birmingham" is stamped on the top of the rib and Woodcock Hill Benton PA is stamped on the underside of the rib. Woodcock Hill imported the gun and I am awaiting written info from them.

I am going to write down all the serial #'s, patent #'s and proof #'s this weekend and call WP & Son next week to get it sorted out.

Thanks!

Matt
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Matt, if the SN on the barrels is different from that on the receiver (and it may be on the bottom tang as well), then something strange is going on. Rebarreled but with a different SN? Good question to ask!
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Well, I had a nice discussion with Peter Powell of William Powell & Son yesterday. Mr. Powell was kind enough to immediatley pull up the company records on my shotgun. The gun was manufactured and sold on 10/23/1982 to the "The Honorable" D.H. Finch.

Powell reacquired the gun (he did not mention when) and re-sold it on August 13, 1940 for $14 pounds!

It was during this time that Powell replaced the barrels to the ones currently on the gun. It is their company policy to put different serial numbers on the receiver and the barrels. Of course, the gun was re-proofed at this time.

The company records describe this gun as a 16 bore hammerless with a square crossbolt. 27" barrels and weighing 5lbs. 15oz. The action is an 1880 Powell patent and Mr. Powell called it a Patent Lift Up Action and they used it quite a bit between 1880 and 1930.

I have e-mailed Mr. Powell pics of all the proofing and he told we he would examine them and get back to me. I am still awaiting the info from the importer, Woodcock Hill, and that should give me a little history of the gun after it reached the United States.

Thanks everybody who helped out with their advice and knowledge on this gun and the subject of proof marks etc!

Matt
Gb Jack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Feather if you don't mind me asking, what was the final price for that gun, I have a tip on one and want to know what I should be paying for it?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Hi Jack: Sent you a PM. Good luck with the gun!

Matt