16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Spolar shotshell reloading press ?

Spolar shotshell loading experience ?
None
80%
 80%  [ 33 ]
Some - very negative
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some - negative
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Some - no opinion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some - positive
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 41

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

510wells wrote:
Yo R*2,

While I'm a confirmed P/W guy and pretty much agree with you I don't think they offer 16 gauge tooling for the 800 loaders Sad

Roi

510: I have a PW Size O Matic 900. Older model. A little over a year ago I called PW for a 16ga. die set. No problem. Not advertised but available.

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Ah, you're just saying that because they are named Texan. Laughing I've been told that a number of the design features of the old Texan progressives were incorporated into the PW presses.
510wells
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys on the heads up on the P/W 16 gauge die possibilities.

I'll give them a call and talk to them about it..

Roi

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hello 16gg,
The Texans are older and crimp MUCH better.
They do NOT have a good resize feature, but the MEC super sizers take care of that issue.
They are a pleasue to use
Mike
Badge 2786
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 am  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
Want a Spolar? Know the score ... You can buy better reloaders, but you can't pay more!

I defy you to name a better reloader than the Spolar.

You can't, because the Spolar is the standard by which all other reloading presses are judged. There is no finer shotshell press on the market, regardless of cost.

Before you start in telling me I have no idea what I am talking about; I have loaded on almost every press on the market except the Lee, and the Pacific/Hornady 366.

I include the Spolar I currently own, the Dillon SL900 I sold to get it, The Grand from RCBS, the P-W Platinum 2000, the MEC 9000, & Grabber, and one other one that escapes my memory at this time.

Your statement reeks, to be honest, of someone who bad-mouths the Spolar in favor of inferior equipment, just like Phil did to Tiger.

I have 25000+ rounds on a Spolar. I have never adjusted it once. There is no reason to; it doesn't come out of adjustment, period.

Of course, that is NOT the case with ANY 9000, and you know it. You'd rather break it down based on price.

Yes, you CAN buy 4 MEC's for the price of one Spolar. That just means 4 times the adjustments needed to run off a few shells.

I love it when people who have no personal knowledge of the Spolar bad mouth it, and compare it to a stamped POS like the MEC 9000. Thanks for making my day!

KolarDan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Don't let anyone fool you --- you get exactly what you pay for 99% of the time. I can't speak for the Spolars, but the P&W's are damn good presses that are built to last a lifetime. I have a Platinum 2000, a 900, and (2) 375 duromatics (single-stage presses).

They produce factory looking shells with almost no effort. Very Happy
megafatcat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:43 am  Reply with quote

I use a Texan. Old and bulletproof. $25 on Ebay a few years ago. I reload as a hobby while I am on the road working. I have a lot of spare time in the evenings and will load up a few hundred rounds and swap them with my son for hulls when I get back. Loading does not take a lot of expensive equipment if you have time. Out of 2 small totes I load 16ga, 20ga, rifle, pistol. I have just figured out how to load 410 with only adding a .45 acp sizing die.
Yes,I am envious and drool over all the fancy presses in the various gun shops I visit. But I can trade a few hours in a lonely hotel room for ammo and I enjoy it. And it keeps my son and daughter shooting at a cost I can afford.
Badge 2786
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

megafatcat wrote:
... And it keeps my son and daughter shooting at a cost I can afford.

Where were YOU when I was a kid? Kids everywhere are just drooling for a parent like you!

I sincerely hope yours know how fortunate they are to have you as a parent!

JOhn

top_cat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Look on "allofcraigs.com" for shotshell reloader. Lots of Hornady/Pacific 366, some MEC 650s, PW 800/900. The best reloader is the used one you got way cheaper than suggested retail.

I'm using a RCBS Grand - a broken and discarded display unit for $50. $87.00 in repair parts and a bunch of warranty parts and I'm in business. Best of all I can use all my Hornady/Pacific and Bair powder and shot bushings.

I still keep my 366 for reloading Federal papers.

Tom
RLR390
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I started on a Texan progressive almost 50 years. Eventually graduated to the PW progressive. Had several different models all purchased new. I'm not mechanically oriented, as each of the PW's got older, it seemed like I spent more time adjusting them than I did loading. When I switched from one brand of hull to another, it was an ordeal to get everything adjusted right to get a good looking shell. Bought a Spolar new and it is the best thing I ever did. No adjustments to make when switching from one brand to another and nothing to adjust when changing primers. Just load and go. Serial # is under 200 so the number of years I've had it has to be in the 15 yr range. Never failed me and never caused a problem.. Load lots of papers and it works flawlessly. Bought the 16ga dies when they came and and they work great. The 16ga MEC is in the box on the shelf.